desktop backgrounds

pcdude

I was told that puttin pictures of your choice up as your backgound will really slow up your pc. Is it true?

apj101

VIP Member
it can slow down the refresh rate when minimising windows, noticable on older machines. Not so much these days

computerhakk

VIP Member
It can and it can't.

All other hardwares like your video card. The resolution of the picture and screen size. The size of the picture, etc.. also comes in to play also.

Just try it. It's not permanent and you can change it if it indeed slows down your pc.

norcodh

if your computer is bad enough to notice a decrease in proformance when you have a nice pic as your desktop..... I think its tiem to look into a new one not going to lie

Ku-sama

banned
norcodh said:
if your computer is bad enough to notice a decrease in proformance when you have a nice pic as your desktop..... I think its tiem to look into a new one not going to lie
ditto

Raditz

lol. Really I never noticed that. It works fine on my computer when I put X men III on my background.

dragon2309

P.I Dragon
it only affects older PC's where hardware is stretched when simply minimizing windows etc... the extra processing power needed to then render the desktop background aswell is too much and it lags behind a bit..... but this is obviously on very old machines, VERY OLD..... anything made within the last 5-10 years will have no problems

dragon

4W4K3

VIP Member
Depends on the image and hardware as stated above. If you have a 3-4MB high quality/resolution image and you're running on an integrated 4MB Matrox gfx card then yes, you will notice it lags your PC quite alot.

most semi-new video cards however can handle a decent sized background (even some animated ones) without stuttering.

SFR

Truth fears no questions
It is interesting to note that when I remote desktop to many customers' servers at I actually notice a difference in the refresh rate when I enable the desktop background.... It is even worse with PCAnywhere...

fruscai

dragon2309 said:
it only affects older PC's where hardware is stretched when simply minimizing windows etc... the extra processing power needed to then render the desktop background aswell is too much and it lags behind a bit..... but this is obviously on very old machines, VERY OLD..... anything made within the last 5-10 years will have no problems

just my luck then, my computer was made six years ago, : ( i have an older version dell dimension 4100, i desperately need to get some cash to buy an AM2 build ive been planning as im only in the states for three weeks in july!