DLL based AntiVirus Toolversus executable Antivirus tool

Kwabena Gyamfi

Hi,

Need a quick answer to this question:

"Why is DLL based AntiVirus tool superior to an executable AntiVirus tool?" -- Will appreciate an answer as soon as possible?

Thanks.

Kwabena Gyamfi

Sypher04

"Why is DLL based AntiVirus tool superior to an executable AntiVirus tool?"

The Antivirus itself will always be an executable. Any Anti-Virus software would be made up of multiple .DLL files which are simply software drivers. I would be cautious of using any Anti-Virus which does have any drivers.

The absence of Software drivers would tell you that is not a very complex program, and as such cannot properly serve the function of an anti-virus against current threats.

I hope that helped.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Depending on how the Antivirus was coded, one could argue the opposite saying that an extremely efficient low-level antivirus program is equally (or more) capable as the "standard" antivirus program yet offer the "simplicity" of a single executeable. Specifically what I had in mind was an ASM based application.

This is really more of a theoretical/"proof-of-concept" type of argument though and for the most part Sypher is absolutely dead on; I just like to add some perspective here and there :)