DSL Ethernet & Internet Lights Flashing - SLOW Internet

SpeedDevil817

DSL Ethernet & Internet Lights Flashing - SLOW or NO Internet

Well my DSL modem ethernet and internet lights are flashing. I have just one computer (desktop) hooked up so I do not have a router. They are flashing simultaneously. The internet light flashes fast or slow in sync with the ethernet light. My problem is that when I try to load any website in IE or Firefox most of the time it takes a lot longer than average or just times out and says page cannot be displayed however like 20% of the time I can get to a site. I have a 6.0 mbps connection. I recently got a new hard drive after my other one crashed. So I installed Windows 2000 pro on it since I could not put the XP on it which it came with because the recovery partition crashed also since it was part of the old hard drive. I tried to update the drivers as much as I could but I still think it might be a driver issue but I am in no way certain of that. I know my modem driver is up to date. maybe its my network card controller driver which needs to be updated or something.

I have a Compaq SR1820NX - all hardware is the same as it was when I got it about a year ago except my new hard Drive and I added a 1GB stick of RAM.

Please help. If you can give me your AIM or MSN for live help or if you would prefer to not show it on forum mine is SpeedDevil817 on AIM and [email protected] on MSN Messenger. I would appreciate it very much. When I can I try to contribute to this site with my minimal knowledge.

Last edited:

Hass

I'm looking foward to responses here.
As I'm in a similar boat (well not really)
But I'm running a 3Mbps connection.
But this computer only gets about 650-700kbps.
While the other computers in the network are getting 2Mbps+

Blah.

Styrak

I'm looking foward to responses here.
As I'm in a similar boat (well not really)
But I'm running a 3Mbps connection.
But this computer only gets about 650-700kbps.
While the other computers in the network are getting 2Mbps+

Blah.

You do realize that your connection is SHARED right?

Calibretto

VIP Member
are you sure you don't have any downloads going? Cause whenever I'm downloading the lights blink like crazy.

Hass

You do realize that your connection is SHARED right?

Shared?
Wtf does that mean?

Of course I know it is.
Other computers are usually off at the time of testing.
Since we're not ever home at the same time.
We all work different shifts (my dad and I are first, my brother has school + works 2nd shift).
So we're only using the internet and have our computers on at the same time rarely.

Besides, it reads a full 650-700kbps when we were running a 768Kbps line.
Now we're at 3000Kbps and it's still reading the same.
cool.