ebay computers

on_auc

Hi,

Have you ever bought anything from ebay ?
I just bought a 2nd hand 300Mhz desktop computer for £10.

The courier delivered the unit today but it is not working properly.
It powered up at the 1st boot and gave me the following message :

1782 Disk Control Failure

After I resetted it. It powers up and I get the following message :

PXE-E61 media test failure, check cable
PXE-MOF exiting LANDesk service agent

and then I get the following message :

Non-System disk or disk error
replace and strike any key when ready

Now, usually when you leave your floppy disk on the floppy drive and power-up then you get this last message and so I checked the floppy drive but it is empty and so I don't know what it means by disk error.
I don't know what is wrong.
What are these 2 error messages that I am getting ?

charly

if your pc would like to boot from disk, then the LED should be green.
but i guess your messages are the result from a defect controller or a crashed harddisk. plug the ide cabel from IDE0 to IDE1 and set your bios to boot from there.
if it's still not working then you have a serious problem.

NON-System disk means there is no OS on it. you may use chkdsk /f to fix a partitonal problem. you need an OS anyway for that pc i think so.

nomav6

on_auc said:
1782 Disk Control Failure
just shows that there's a problem booting from the HDD
on_auc said:
After I resetted it. It powers up and I get the following message :

PXE-E61 media test failure, check cable
PXE-MOF exiting LANDesk service agent
open the computer and make sure everything is pluged in, if not I would find someone with some extra IDE cables that you can use on your computer, or you could just have a dead hard drive, also there could be issues with the motherboard IDE.

on_auc said:
Non-System disk or disk error
replace and strike any key when ready
just means theres no disk to boot from, I.E. floppy, HDD, CD ROM, so if you do have a HDD in the computer that either means, theres no O/S, bad cables or just a dead HDD.

All of these message mean close to the same thing, either theres no O/S on the HDD, or something is just not working (cables, HDD, IDE controler)

nomav6

sorry for posting the same thing that charly did, but I didn't notice that he/she had posted anything lol, hope you get it worked out