erratic dial up connecting Dell 4300 xp

lectron

The thing has worked fine for 4 years, now will dial & "connect" or "code 721" or "code 777", or "timed out while dialing". My wife has spent probably 30 hours working on this problem. The only thing we can tie it to is my wife starting to download KAZA then changing her mind and stopping.

I called Juno live $ support and she thought there was spyware (43 properties in there somewhere running? sorry I'm no tech). I do have Regestry Mechanic and SpyBot and have run them several times.

Here's a question - could the motem be faulty even if the system says it is operating properly? I do have a new one on the way.

Or do you who know these things think there is likely a configuration problem?

Thanks for any consideration on this frustrating problem.

lectron

see if this might apply: we received a windows update Nov 10th - the same time we started having trouble. We just deleted the update and the computer seems back to its old self. What's up with that? Could that be it?

shupola

lectron said:
see if this might apply: we received a windows update Nov 10th - the same time we started having trouble. We just deleted the update and the computer seems back to its old self. What's up with that? Could that be it?

hey if it works it works. i would just wait until the next update comes out and see if it does it again.

Lax

VIP Member
Which update was it (a security update or a hotfix) and which one (if you can find the number)?

lectron

still a problem

Thanks for answering. It's still not working. No I don't know which update it was or how to find it. Do you think it is possible the motem is faulty even though it says it is?