Error Loading Operating System

fiammanera

When I try to boot off of one of my hard drives it says "Error Loading Operating System" and wont boot. PLEASE HELP!!!:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

dragon2309

P.I Dragon
More info please, what OS is this, what hard drives are you using, what motherboard are you on? Do you use more than one hard drive, if so what arrangement are they in. Which one are you trying to boot to?

Also, have you changed anything since the last time you tried to turn it on?

dragon2309

PabloTeK

Also check if the drive connectors have become dislodged, even a slight mis-alignment can cause a HDD to be ignored.

fiammanera

The Hard Drive is a Maxtor Quickview Model:6L160PO
It is 160 GB and PATA133
Windows 2k is installed on it.
I have tryed the hard drive in two different computers. One with a PC Chips K8 Motherboard: M861G v1.6 and the other computer has a MSI K7T266 Pro2 Ver. 2.0.
I checked the cable and it is firmly seated and operates properly with another hard drive.

elitehacker

Well, you can take that drive out and put it in another system to see if its the hard drive is at fault. Your hard drive might be dying and that's why you are getting these errors.

fiammanera

I have tried booting on two computers, to no avail. I also tried accessing the drives on two different systems, also to no avail.

When I try accessing the drive on my other Windows 2k system the drive shows up as a removable media drive. On a computer with an ubuntu boot disk the disk doesn't even show up. By the way, its NTFS.

I tried a Windows 2K boot disk. The computer "looks" at the disk and then tries to boot off of the hard drive. I don't know if the disks were made succesful because this is happening.

fiammanera

I made Windows 2K boot disks. I tried them on both computers. On both pcs, I started up the pc, then I pressed F8 or F11 to go to the boot menu (different bios'es) and I selected the floppy drive. Then the fdd light came on and then the pc said the "error loading operating system"

what is going on? did i make the boot disks wrong. Are the disks tring to boot the hard drive just like the bios and unsucceding? what is going on?

-very puzzled. (and mad:mad: )

fiammanera

In the BIOS I set the 1st boot device as the floppy, second as the cd, and 3rd as disabled. And I set "try other boot devices" as no.

Now when I put the boot disk in it says:
Reboot and select proper boot device
or insert boot media into the selected drive and press a key

Im assuming either the boot disks wont help me or I made them wrong. Ill try some more until I get an answer.

fiammanera

I got the powermax utility and it checked the drive for any kind of error. It passed every test i threw at it so it must be the master boot thingy (whatever its called) or something on the disk.

I dont have a windows 2k disk.

fiammanera

Here are some things that may help you. Right now I want my data back and am not needing the computer to boot up. I plugged the hard drive with the problems into my working computer and heres what happens.

There is nothing physically wrong with it, It can be read from. Probably either the master boot record is gone, the boot files for win2K are corrupted or gone, or that the hard drive is unformatted.

Notice the items I circled.
comp0001.jpg

comp0003.jpg

comp0002.jpg

comp0004.jpg

comp0005.jpg

comp0006.jpg

JDAV1987

did it happen the 1st time you used your hard drive or was it working before hand. mine has only just done the same when i used killdisk on it and now it keeps on saying that every time i start it.