ethernet prob

bloospoon

hi.. i have just this very week moved to manchester uni.. however i have a problem with the public network they provide... i am plugged in via a cat5 ... connection to the uni's own 10mbyte internet connection.. i can access the internet yet canot do any other web tasks (msn msngr, onlne gaming....) is there anyway i can find out wha apps i can use on the network and what i cant... and try to fuind away to get them working :mad:

jesbax

talk to the local provider as to what the restritions are. they are better at telling you this. IF the do allow the programs then reset the internet connictions to you ethernet port.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
You mean 10mbit right?

yet canot do any other web tasks (msn msngr, onlne gaming....) is there anyway i can find out wha apps i can use on the network and what i cant... and try to fuind away to get them working
1. Read the documentation, damn near all universities post documentation about their network infrastructure. That stuff may be blocked
2. It could just be the 'startup' congestion

Most likely the UNI would block the ports for the programs you mentioned. You'll need a program like "HTTP TUNNEL". It lets your use internet appz from behind a firewall