Fan runs constantly

mrbuddha

Hi,

I have a Pentium 4, 3.2 gig and the fan runs constantly from the second I start it up until I shut it down. Is this normal? I have had many other computers, and don't remember this happening. This is my first Pentium 4.

4W4K3

VIP Member
i would hope it's running. this is a desktop correct? it has to run to cool the processor (if you mean CPU fan) if its not running it could overheat and fry the computer. what other computers did you have where the fans did not run? or was it you just couoldn't hear it like you can this new one?

SFR

Truth fears no questions
I would hope the fan is constantly running...

... better the fan burn out prematurely than the cpu overheating

mrbuddha

HI,

I never said the fan was never running. It just didn't seem to be running constantly with my other computers. I honestly think with my last computer the fan would cycle on and off. Maybe there was a problem with it.

4W4K3

VIP Member
mrbuddha said:
HI,

I never said the fan was never running. It just didn't seem to be running constantly with my other computers. I honestly think with my last computer the fan would cycle on and off. Maybe there was a problem with it.

could be it only turned on when the CPU got hot, then it turned off when the temperature was cool enough. my laptop used to do that b4 i made the fans run constantly...24C baby! lol. it's just a mobo feature, i can do it with my board as well...but i choose to have it on all the time for better cooling. on and off is annoying as well.

SFR

Truth fears no questions
yeah...

the fan should be running from the moment you turn on your computer till the moment it turns off...

and with a few too many computers in this room I think its time to even look at upgrading my fan... its more important that people think..

but yeah, its a GOOD thing your fan never stops spinning!!

mrbuddha

4W4K3 said:
could be it only turned on when the CPU got hot, then it turned off when the temperature was cool enough. my laptop used to do that b4 i made the fans run constantly...24C baby! lol. it's just a mobo feature, i can do it with my board as well...but i choose to have it on all the time for better cooling. on and off is annoying as well.

That makes sense. I think it cycled on and off kind of like a car fan when the engine gets hot, and then shuts off when it cools down. Doens't the Pentium 4 have a tendency to run hotter than other processors, such as the AMD Athlon?

4W4K3

VIP Member
mrbuddha said:
That makes sense. I think it cycled on and off kind of like a car fan when the engine gets hot, and then shuts off when it cools down. Doens't the Pentium 4 have a tendency to run hotter than other processors, such as the AMD Athlon?

depends on what core. generall AMD runs hotter...liek the Palamino core ran hot. But the Prescott Intel core will run uber hot as well. then again the P-M runs very cool...like 24C. and the AMD-Mobile wll run pretty col as well. depends on what core, but usually AMD is hotter.