Fan Setup

Grimulus

Alright. After talking with Praetor I've decided to keep my volcano 12 fan and add in some good quality case fans. I'm going to get two torandos out the rear and one on the side panel. I have no place to put a fan in the front so don't ask. :p

Should I have all these fans blowing out? Side panel blowing in maybe and the rears blowing out? I always find a problem with the ideas I come up with...i'm sure that's inescapable though, so yeah, post your best opinions.

Grim

Nephilim

VIP Member
Hi,

An ideal setup is to have roughly the same amount of air going in as you have going out and preferably in the front and out the back.

Since you apparently can't mount any fans up front I'd have the side panel fan pulling air in and the two rear fans blowing out. This is about the best you can do but it's going to leave a big dead spot at the front of the case where little to no air is going to get moved. If it's even remotely possible you should seriously consider putting fans up front though :)

tristan

Ideally you want the front to have one intake pulling air in and the back exhaust blowing out. Since you can put one for the front (why not? i would mod it so i did.. lol) just make the side fan blow in and the back ones blow out.

Last edited:

Grimulus

yeah...just look...

http://www.nzxt.com/guardian_chassis/guardian_chassis.html

now you have to put all those damn wires in there and all that stuff. of course there is an open space for a fan below the cd drives...it wouldn't be blowing in outside air, BUT it would be blowing that dead air out towards the back...keep in mind i will have my video card fan(when i upgrade soon) blowing hot air around as well.

Grimulus

if you look more with the chassis of the case you will see a purple thing that covers the fans...not only does it cover the fans, it holds them!! i took that thing off because it was letting NO air in for the fans to work...so i just have that one held up there with a screw and a twistie tie. :p so yeah...i took that blam'n thing off.

Grimulus

has 5 cd bays...i will only use two..possibly 3 in the future..but still i could put a fan in there yah? better than nothing?

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
I have no place to put a fan in the front so don't ask.
Twist ties and string. The front fans done neccessarily have to be "intake" but they can also just be there to (a) move air across the HDDs or to add some extra "push" to move air towards the rear fans.

Should I have all these fans blowing out? Side panel blowing in maybe and the rears blowing out? I always find a problem with the ideas I come up with...i'm sure that's inescapable though, so yeah, post your best opinions.
Front fans should probably NOT be exhaust although ive seen some system where this was employed successfully (but those are exceptions). The side fans should be a decision depending on the ambient temperature, some poeople run them exhaust, others run them as intake

has 5 cd bays...i will only use two..possibly 3 in the future..but still I could put a fan in there yah? better than nothing?
Yeah, ive got a hdd fan on my burner ... mostly just for kicks tho