Favorite Computer Company?

What is your favorite computer company?

• Total voters

Lorand

<b>VIP Member</b>
I never had a ready-made computer (except my first 286 machine). So all I can tell what component manufacturer companies I prefer:
CPU: AMD
video card: ATI
motherboard: ASUS
monitor: LG
DVD-ROM: Pioneer
etc.....

Bobo

banned
For me:

ASUS or Gigabyte mobo
AMD AMD AMD AMD AMD cpu
Crucial or Kingston RAM
All accessories that HP makes (ie monitor, printer, etc)

The-Llamalizer

I don't like Dell. I like ABS, Alienware. I also don't like Gateway, Compaq, or HP at least for computers. They make good other stuff. And there is always building your own that is good. So I chose other.

4W4K3

VIP Member
For laptops i prefer IBM Thinkpads (My gf's mom has one, and my Dad has 2 of them)

For desktops i prefer HP.

As for actually buying one...i wouldn't. But if that was my only option...

SFR

Truth fears no questions
I remember when I liked this band called Blink 182. It was before they were on MTV. I was a sophmore at a rival high school when they were seniors and I saw them perform at a few parties... and as soon as they made it... as soon as they started making REAL money and became famous and well known, the same kids in this town, who went to go see them before.. stopped seeing them. Blink 182 became "too trendy" to like.

Its a very simple idea. And I think it applies to Dell. When Dell first came onto the scene everyone was amazed.. at the service and the products and the entire feel and look of the company... Everyone wanted a Dell.. it was new. Then it became "to trendy" to like.

For some reason... I dont know why .. but Alienware seems to come to mind. Its new.. its amazing.. the entire feel and look of the company is edgy... at some point Alienware will become "to trendy" as well.

For those of you who are too "good" or "advanced" or "superior" or "knowledgeable" to buy from DELL .... good... for.. you!

But there are still people out there (who out number you at least 45,000 to 1 - which is a good thing) who are not as advanced and superior and knowledgeable to build their own machines. So either start your own company where you can build machines AND SELL THEM AT COST so that the consumer can spend as little money as possible.. or quite your "mindless, boring, ... chit-chat".

So... Dell charges people more for the same computer than it WOULD COST YOU. Okay.. they make money. So.. be the good samaritan that you are and start building computers for the people who are not as advanced, superior and knowledgeable as you are. Make sure to be available 24 hours a day, everyday to help them with all their customer and technical service questions... and be able to fix all their problems. Oh... and be sure not to charge them a penny over the price it would COST YOU TO BUILD THAT SAME COMPUTER.

Last edited:

4W4K3

VIP Member
^^^I see your point.

As i am only a teenager people don't buy computers from me. My age obviously limits my credibility right? so dumb...:(

But I do give away computers sometimes, to people in need. I am always helping my friends fix there computer problems, whether it be viruses, bad hardware, or a simple upgrade.

It really is alot of work to try and supply people with exactly what they want, when they want it, how they want it, and at the price the want it at. I'm the only one in my house with a self-built rig. My dad knows how to build them blind-folded lol, he is just too busy to do all the trouble-shooting that he sees me doing (been working on my rig for the last week trying to get is stable again) While he still is not a Dell fan, he does have alot of HP and IBM machines. He just doesn't see the advantage of building your own computer when he can get discounts from work, and he knows how to keep any computer running for a long time (basic virus scanning, treatment, cooling..alll that stuff.)

I think if i worked as long/hard as alot of people i too would go with a manufactured computer. Mine right now takes up a good 70% of my time and i'm on X-mas break.

I just bought a Dell back in April, I stuck a 512mb ram card in there (so my total ram now is something like 648mb :-\), my hd from my old computer (so now total i have like 100gb hd), windows xp, and a few weeks ago i bought a cd-rw as the one i had in my old computer didn't work with this computer. Compared to my old hp this is an A+ computer- my hp had 64 mb ram, like a 60 gb hd but i bought that as a second drive and at that time i didn't know much about computers so my brother and cousin put it in and they messed up so the 1st hd didn't work, anyway, it has windows me, ya you get the point. of course i want to build my own computer- if anyone has some tips on what parts to get, feel free to recomend them to me.

zilla

SFR said:
I remember when I liked this band called Blink 182. It was before they were on MTV. I was a sophmore at a rival high school when they were seniors and I saw them perform at a few parties... and as soon as they made it... as soon as they started making REAL money and became famous and well known, the same kids in this town, who went to go see them before.. stopped seeing them. Blink 182 became "too trendy" to like.

Its a very simple idea. And I think it applies to Dell. When Dell first came onto the scene everyone was amazed.. at the service and the products and the entire feel and look of the company... Everyone wanted a Dell.. it was new. Then it became "to trendy" to like.

For some reason... I dont know why .. but Alienware seems to come to mind. Its new.. its amazing.. the entire feel and look of the company is edgy... at some point Alienware will become "to trendy" as well.

For those of you who are too "good" or "advanced" or "superior" or "knowledgeable" to buy from DELL .... good... for.. you!

But there are still people out there (who out number you at least 45,000 to 1 - which is a good thing) who are not as advanced and superior and knowledgeable to build their own machines. So either start your own company where you can build machines AND SELL THEM AT COST so that the consumer can spend as little money as possible.. or quite your "mindless, boring, ... chit-chat".

So... Dell charges people more for the same computer than it WOULD COST YOU. Okay.. they make money. So.. be the good samaritan that you are and start building computers for the people who are not as advanced, superior and knowledgeable as you are. Make sure to be available 24 hours a day, everyday to help them with all their customer and technical service questions... and be able to fix all their problems. Oh... and be sure not to charge them a penny over the price it would COST YOU TO BUILD THAT SAME COMPUTER.
'

Well said. A friend of mine wrote a paper in college that was based on similar concepts. Really neat to think about. Alienware is already 10 times more trendy than they were 3 or 4 years ago. Anybody who remembers their website back in 2000 compared to what it looks like now should know what I'm talking about. It reeks of corporate now. I'd still buy a computer from them though.

Same with Dell. I'm curious as to why most people here don't like Dell? I'd be willing to bet that most people if asked directly would say something generally and inane like... "my friends sisters cousin had one and it blew up" or something ridiculous like that. No reason, other than it's not "cool" to like Dell or Gateway or HP. Now, I'm sure that someone will chime in and say that the components Dell and Gateway use aren't of the same quality of what you could get if you put your own system together. Maybe so. That's not something I really know eough about. I do know that over the past 15 yrs, I've owned probably 8 or 9 computers. 5 gateways 2 HP's and I'm on my 2nd Dell. I upgrade them all in one way or another, adding HD's or RAM what have you. But I'll probably always buy one from these companies, simply for the convenience of being able to call 24hrs a day 7 days a week to get help if and when I need it. My life in general is hectic enough, I don't need any other hassles or stress if I can avoid them.

Dude, I bought a Dell. And it's pretty friggin fast, and it wasn't that friggin expensive. Sounds good in my book.

zilla

Bobo said:
Because Dell doesn't offer AMD procs. And they have messed up Bioses, like most bought computers

Now there's an intelligent answer. That I can respect and understand.
:)

4W4K3

VIP Member
Any manufactured computer (like Dell or Hp or what have you, not ALL of them apply to what i am about to say) is usually frowned upon on an overclocking website. Simply because this is where the select few overclockers gather and visit. The computers that Dell offers are not designed for overclockers, and they are not designed to meet our expectations.

That is usually why people at overclocking forums say "Dell Sucks!!!" or something vague like that. Then someone else argues that Dell's are fine for average use, light gaming, and working, which is totally true. It's just the population surrounding the conversation is hot water for almost any manufactured product. We like to design and build our own machines, then drive them faster. Not be stuck with a locked out BIOS, flaky hardware (in terms of overclocking flexibility), and somewhat not so stylish design.

(I realize this website isn't only about overclocking, but in terms of the argument i think most people who say "dell sucks" are overclockers. I could be wrong about that though.)

SFR

Truth fears no questions
I agree with you 4W4K3.

I understand that this forum is for advanced overclocker's but there are also newbies and average computer users who are driven away from companies like Dell because they believe everything (or almost everything) they read. The problem is that for the average user, there is no need to overclock a computer. Even for advanced users who are not gamers.. there is almost no practical reason to overclock a machine. When I buy a computer... Dell bought or self-made I will never spend extra money on a CPU I do not need.. same goes with other components. So for average users I want them to understand that top of the line components are NOT NECESSARY. I do agree that building your own can save money… but like I previously wrote: “There are still people out there who are not as advanced and superior and knowledgeable to build their own machines.” And building your own without that proper knowledge can end up costing you more money in the end.

Software companies, especially game companies drive the hardware side of the business to produce and sell top of the line components by creating programs that need these enhancements. I agree it is great that video card and mobo etc.. companies have to improve their product but at the same time, it makes a good computer obsolete faster than it should.

This is why I got myself away from computer games many years ago. I was able to allow myself to enjoy an older game without creating a facade that I needed a NEW VIDEO CARD.. AND MORE RAM... to run these games.

So for an average user DO NOT be tricked into spending more money than you should ... because in a month it wont be brand new anymore. And don’t be fooled into thinking that buying a computer from a company like Dell or HP is a bad deal... anyway my ranting and raving is over.... at least for the time being.