Fedora Linux

kharmini91

I downloaded the four Fedora Linux iso's from the Red Hat website. I mounted them and booted my laptop with disc 1, deleted my NTFS partition and was fine until I had to choose my monitor and resolution. I have a Dell Inspiron 8000 from 2001, I think. The monitor, obviously, is LCD and I think 15 in. I had no idea what to say for the monitor, so I put either unprobed monitor or LCD 800x600, I forget. Well even before I got to the monitor screen, when I started the graphical setup, there was a line of what looked like bar code floating down the middle of the screen and it kept moving down the screen during the whole setup. When the installation was complete, I rebooted and when I reached the graphical login screen for for I think debian, the screen was all bejumbled. It was almost inverted, there were two cursors, and I could barely see what I was doing. I wound up figuring out how to log in by literally a blind guess- I just clicked around the screen. I had to boot from an XP cd and erase my Linux partitions and re-install XP. Can anyone tell me what to do? Please Help!!! :confused:

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
there was a line of what looked like bar code floating down the middle of the screen and it kept moving down the screen during the whole setup.
Does your LCD support whatever settings (refresh rate, res) that you chose? :)

Christopher

VIP Member
I believe he was saying that those settings should be sufficient to get the display working properly.

Anyway, hit CTRL+ALT+F# (replacing # with a F key [F1 etc]) to get into the console and try running one of the X config scripts. A search on google should reveal it, but try redhat-config-xfree86 or edit the config files.

Search google for laptop problems if you'd like. I had this problem with Slackware on my desktop, I needed to configure X properly.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
I believe he was saying that those settings should be sufficient to get the display working properly.
I figured as much ... just wasnt sure if there was some fancy setting I was missing out on :p