Few performance questions

Joel

I bought a new computer yesterday, a Cicero 4564. Here's a link to it. So I am wondering, it says up to 1600 mhz for the bus speed, how do i make sure its at 1600? Also, the guy said the RAM was upgradable from 1 gb to 2 gbs, however when i opened the case i found 2 RAM slots already occupied by 2 512 sticks, so can i take the 2 512s out and put 2 1024s in or did the guy just screw up?
Thanks to anyone who helps! :cool:

ChinaRosesZ

one way to check to see if your computer is really 1600 mhz is to right click on "My Computer" and select "Properties", it should show you the information right there.

And about the ram slot, of course you can put 2 1024s in there, but I'm not sure if your computer will support it or not. And if you're not using the 2 512's, can I have them :-D?

SFR

Truth fears no questions
Joel said:
I bought a new computer yesterday, a Cicero 4564. Here's a link to it. So I am wondering, it says up to 1600 mhz for the bus speed, how do i make sure its at 1600? Also, the guy said the RAM was upgradable from 1 gb to 2 gbs, however when i opened the case i found 2 RAM slots already occupied by 2 512 sticks, so can i take the 2 512s out and put 2 1024s in or did the guy just screw up?
Thanks to anyone who helps! :cool:

CPU-Z is a good program that many people on this forum recommend to view your specs.

And 1 gig is plenty of RAM. Most people will never run applications that need more. But, If you want to spend the money, and "the guy" said you can purchase 2 more 512MB ..then go for it.

Joel

I ran those programs and it says i have a 512 mb cache on my processor when it's advertised as a 1 mb. But anywho, I can't seem to find the bus speed on there, those are neat programs though.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
how do I make sure its at 1600?
You dont [really].
1. Odds are the HTL is runing 1600MHz
2. If it wasnt running 1.6GHz odds are theres absolutely nothing you can do
3. If you really want to check still, grab Central Brain Identifier, http://www.majorgeeks.com/download3538.html and check that the "HTL speed" is listed as 800MHz

Also, the guy said the RAM was upgradable from 1 gb to 2 gbs, however when I opened the case I found 2 RAM slots already occupied by 2 512 sticks, so can I take the 2 512s out and put 2 1024s in or did the guy just screw up?
They said it was upgradeable -- they didnt say it would be easy or they'd not make it a pain in the arse.

CPU-Z is a good program that many people on this forum recommend to view your specs.
Unfortunately CPUz (in its current incarnation) wont tell you the HTL speed ... it'll tell you the HTT speed which is kinda good but without the multiplier you wont know the HTL. Funny thing about OEMs sometimes is they'll aciddentally ship with a 4x rather than 5x (say, in the case of Socket939 boards) :)

and "the guy" said you can purchase 2 more 512MB ..then go for it.
Dont bother for 2x512:
1. Your CPU doesnt support dual channel
2. Keep that extra slot open for potential even more upgrades
3. Running 1 stick is faster than 2 sticks :) (in a lot of cases)

use adia32 I always use this program to detail all my systems!
Unfortunately AIDA32 doesnt show the HTL speed

I ran those programs and it says I have a 512 mb cache on my processor when it's advertised as a 1 mb.
Return the damn thing.
1. You paid too much
2. Its futureshop you definitely paid too much

But anywho, I can't seem to find the bus speed on there, those are neat programs though.
Use the proggie i noted above :)