File sharing problems

blacktop89

I'm trying to help a customer of mine get file sharing working. Here is their situation. All PCs on the network are running WinXP Home or Pro. The PCs are networked by a D-Link 4 port router. All PCs on the network can communicate with each other and share files except for one PC in a back office.

This particular PC can see all other PCs on the network and all of the other PCs can see it. However, when trying to access a shared folder I get a message saying the user does not have permission to access the folder. The PC in the back office is not running a firewall of any kind and is running AVG antivirus.

I've tried running the network setup wizard again. I've also tried renaming the PC and disabling and enabling file sharing. This PC has 'simple file sharing' enabled so none of the other PCs would be blocked for any reason.

Anybody got any suggestions? Thanks in advance for the help.

EDIT: All the PCs on the network are on the MSHOME workgroup.

Last edited:

blacktop89

UPDATE: If the PC in the back office is booted into 'safe mode with networking' all other PCs can access its shared files just fine. Once I did this, I booted into normal mode and disabled all startup items. I restarted the PC in normal mode. With all startup items disabled, the PCs still cannot access the shared files on this PC in the back office.

blacktop89

I checked again. All PCs have 'simple file sharing' enabled. I also ran virus/spyware scans on the PC and it was clean.

Any other ideas?