FireFox - Is it good?

Dylan_

banned
Hi,
All my mates have been telling me to get FireFox as I use IE...
Is it good or not? Is it free?

Thanks,

Dylan_

Verve

It is absoulutely free, and one of the best free programs that exists. Go ahead and download it, try it out for at least a few days before you trash it (I almost did). I hated it at first, but now I love it.

Motoxrdude

Just about everyone on here uses firefox. It is simply superior to IE. It is a lot safer then IE, and has better features like tabbed browsing.

Shane

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yeah its good,

Im using the latest version Beta.

I higly recomend you use it instead of IE.

SirKenin

banned
As long as you have the very latest version of IE (ver 7 beta something or other), there is no advantage to Firefox over IE except for the plugins. Whoopdidoo. I surf fine without them.

Firefox isn't a bad program, but it is just as vulnerable as IE is, it doesn't render some websites properly, and you do not have access to any multimedia or interactive content that uses ActiveX. See, once you have a page coded for IE, it is a total pain in the rear to make it look good in Firefox. Also, both IE and Opera render pages faster than Firefox does.

If you are looking for an alternative to IE I would recommend Opera over Firefox any day of the week.

However, barring those problems with it it does have a plus side as well. You might as well try it for yourself and see what you think.

Motoxrdude

Firefox isn't a bad program, but it is just as vulnerable as IE is, it doesn't render some websites properly, and you do not have access to any multimedia or interactive content that uses ActiveX.

Well, its true about vulnerability, but as of now there aren't as many viruses writen for it. And actually, firefox renders it perfectly, where as IE just kinda makes "assumptions" on what the page should look like.

rayZa

Many ppl said Firefox is far better than IE. That's not true. I've both IE and Firefox installed in my pc and still can't see the good side of Firefox.

Perhaps they compared Firefox with oldskool IE. :)

tlarkin

VIP Member
firefox has extensions that can stop and edit java scripts running on web pages, I am pretty sure IE 7 release canidate 1 does not have this ability. Further more the extensions for firefox go even further than that. If you are a web developer and want to see how certain coding is done on a website there is an extension called, web developer for fire fox. It will cut out code by category, css, html, java, images, forms, cookies, and even disable things from running as well. Faster fox tweaks firefox settings and render engine to make online browsing faster. The extensions are free, and even updated by developers.

Overall, the ability firefox gives you over IE is just enough to use it alone, in my opinion. As far as peformance goes, I would say IE 7 RC1 is probably just as fast as firefox and don't get me wrong, IE 7 is a damn sight better than IE 6.

The only down side is, if you have to browse the web in a heavy active x enviroment, IE is still the best solution out there.

weemanpow3

the only problems with firefox is when you hit a website (myspace/others) it would shut it down. maby they will fix it. But the browsing is fast.

Bobo

banned
the only problems with firefox is when you hit a website (myspace/others) it would shut it down. maby they will fix it. But the browsing is fast.
I never had that problem

@Dylan
Why do you have the avatar that you do if you don't even know what firefox is, let alone use it? :confused:

gamerman4

Firefox is a great program. It is easily tweaked so you can make it look and work however you want it. The plug-ins are great (Adblock Plus has got to be one of the greatest things ever made for it).
You can tweak it for faster speed if you have high-speed internet.
It is easily skinnable. I've had so many problems with IE in the past (I haven't tried IE7 but why would I need to have software that just adds features that older browsers already have).
Also, Firefox 2.0 has a really nice feature for major forum posters...integrated spell checker. It works like Microsoft Word and underlines misspelled words in red and you can right click on it and it will give you choices on what to change it to. Hmmm....this gave me an idea, i'll try IE7 out but I seriously doubt it will be any better. I've tried Opera and installed it and uninstalled it within an hour...

maroon1

Yeah its good,

Im using the latest version Beta.

Tha latest version is Firefox 2.0 RC1 (release candidate 1)
[FONT=verdana, arial, helvetica] u can get it from here http://www.mozilla.org/projects/bonecho/all-rc.html

[/FONT]
As long as you have the very latest version of IE (ver 7 beta something or other), there is no advantage to Firefox over IE except for the plugins. Whoopdidoo. I surf fine without them.

Still firefox is better because it has extentions and u can customize firefox the way u want. Also the new version firefox 2.0 has integrated spell-cheker. Look here if u want to see the new features in firefox2.0 here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mozilla_Firefox#Version_2.0

Firefox isn't a bad program, but it is just as vulnerable as IE is, it doesn't render some websites properly, and you do not have access to any multimedia or interactive content that uses ActiveX. See, once you have a page coded for IE, it is a total pain in the rear to make it look good in Firefox. Also, both IE and Opera render pages faster than Firefox does.

Firefox is an excellent and it is the best browser ever made. Firefox has less vulnerable than IE. Firefox render 99% of websites in the internet without problems. IE7 doesn't render pages faster than firefox. Opera is faster than firefox, but u will not any difference if u have fast internet connection.

you do not have access to any multimedia or interactive content that uses ActiveX
can u give me any site that firefox can't access ?
I can access any multimedia and interactive content that use Active X woth my firefox.

If you are looking for an alternative to IE I would recommend Opera over Firefox any day of the week.

The only thing that opera is better than firefox is security. Opera has less vulnerable because it is not used as much as firefox. Other than that i don't see any thing in opera that is better than firefox. Also opera doesn't render a lot of websites, and it also renders some web pages incorrectly.

Last edited:

maroon1

how firefox will shut it down?

Firefox never shuted down any website for me.

Last edited:

_simon_

Other than that i don't see any thing in opera that is better than firefox. Also opera doesn't render a lot of websites, and it also renders some web pages incorrectly.

What I like about opera is that if you type an address or use the search box or use a bookmark that it opens the result in a new tab, it never uses an existing tab. The magic wand that stores usernames and passwords is also very useful.