Floppy Drive

BrandonL

On my eMachine tower, i realized a while back that there wasnt a floppy drive. I have one but idk how to install it. any tips please b/c i could def. use a floppy drive. thanx

BrandonL

can u show me a picture of the 5 1/4" drive bay adapter... b/c im not having a problem putting it in there, it just the cords i would need for it that's all

PC eye

banned
The link above shows what adapter brackets look like for using that method. A good 3 1/2" to 5 1/4" drive adapter is also used for hard drives as well as for mounting a floppy drive in a bay. A typical mounting bracket for mounting a 3 1/2" hard drive in a 5 1/4" drive bay looks like the image here.

The $5 price is typical at the present time since those are in less demand due to the larger capacity hard drives that have been available for the last several years. To get order online one can be found at http://www.addonics.com/products/other/ Look under "other storage accessories" at the link thjere.

BrandonL

o0o wait a sec., that isnt what i need either. my problem is the adapters... what cords do i need to hook it up to the tower and actually install it?

Burgerbob

The link above shows what adapter brackets look like for using that method. A good 3 1/2" to 5 1/4" drive adapter is also used for hard drives as well as for mounting a floppy drive in a bay. A typical mounting bracket for mounting a 3 1/2" hard drive in a 5 1/4" drive bay looks like the image here.

The $5 price is typical at the present time since those are in less demand due to the larger capacity hard drives that have been available for the last several years. To get order online one can be found at http://www.addonics.com/products/other/ Look under "other storage accessories" at the link thjere.
Listen to what he is saying, PCEye!
You will need a floppy IDE cable, just look it up on newegg, and a connector fro your PSU.

StrangleHold

Staff member
On my eMachine tower, i realized a while back that there wasnt a floppy drive. I have one but idk how to install it. any tips please b/c i could def. use a floppy drive. thanx

Just get you floppy cable, most floppy drives will just slide in from the front after you remove your panel, screw it down, connect the floppy cable and power plug and your ready to go!

BrandonL

ok ill take a look @ that plug. where would i hook it into after i hooked the IDE cable into the floppy drive? i just want to know this all beforehand so im not causing a hassle later on

StrangleHold

Staff member
The floppy cable is not as wide as a standerd IDE cable so you cant get them mixed up on the motherboard and there should be a small 4 pin power connector that comes from your power supply to connect to the floppy drive

PC eye

banned
o0o wait a sec., that isnt what i need either. my problem is the adapters... what cords do i need to hook it up to the tower and actually install it?

Often when buying a new board both an ide and floppy ribbon cable will be thrown in the retail box there. Forget going to Walmart for one. They only carry the external usb type there. Any local pc repair shop will have one for about $2 or a place like Compusa. On the 12v rails on a standard atx power supply you will always find the power connector there for floppy drives. Those are smaller in size then the typical molex type used on hard drives and cd and dvd optical drives.

BrandonL

okay... but all im lookin for is the cable... i already have a floppy drive i was just wondering where i would get the cable... thanks for that piece of information StrangeHold

StrangleHold

Staff member
fdd_back.jpg

cable_fdd_top.jpg

power_cable_fdd.jpg

BrandonL

ok that's exactly what i thought i had to do... just needed clarification. once again u come thru in the clutch StrangeHold lol

StrangleHold

Staff member
okay... but all im lookin for is the cable... i already have a floppy drive i was just wondering where i would get the cable... thanks for that piece of information StrangeHold

Mabe circuit city- office max-office depo- or a small local computer store, since it didnt come with a floppy it might by chance have the floppy port disabled in the bios, you might have to enable it

Last edited:

StrangleHold

Staff member
They should but I know a small computer store would, I have about 50 of them, I would throw you one if it wasnt so far:D

BrandonL

o0o ok well i wouldnt want to make you spend money that you didnt have to... but thanx for the suggestions man

PC eye

banned
You can leave out Circuit City as well as Walmart there. Officemax and Staples are also very limited on what they carry. Office supplies are usually seen with a few different make and model cd or dvd burners and some blank media. This is why I recommended dropping by a pc repair shop. They always seem to have a few onhand. Compusa seems to be one of the last retail stores to go to for cables. http://www.compusa.com/products/pro...6&Pn=Single_Device_Floppy_Drive_Rounded_Cable is the 18" round MadDog cable seen there. Got a Compusa around somewhere close by?