Folding@Home: CF Official Discussion Thread

apj101

VIP Member
This is the official discussion thread for the Computer Forum folding team.

What is F@H?

"Our goal: to understand protein folding, misfolding, and related diseases"

It's basically a distributed effort to unfold the secrets behind proteins and the way that they fold which sometimes causes mutations and serious disease like cancer etc. to occur. By joining in, you can help humanity and have fun competing with your friends at the same time.

To find out how Folding@Home works, how you can get involved and help, and to view the team stats and information, check out this thread:

Folding@Home: About

And help spread the word by copying and pasting this code into your signature:

PHP:
[size=1][b]FOLDING FOR THE GOOD OF MANKIND[/b] :[url="http://www.computerforum.com/56751-folding-home-about.html"][b][color=red]F@H Team 44358[/color][/b][/url] 
[/size]

Last edited by a moderator:

apj101

VIP Member
yeah, i thought about that one, but i decided to list things that may be of more immediate applicable use. Not that i'm discrediting the work of the guys of seti.

apj101

VIP Member
That is a bloody great idea!!

I have just set up a team for the computer forum for folding@home
http://folding.stanford.edu/

The good thing there is a ranking system in place within the team, so we can see who is doing most to help out a good cause. Common guys all join in!!

the team number is: 44358

p4r4s1t3

apj101 said:
The good thing there is a ranking system in place within the team, so we can see who is doing most to help out a good cause. Common guys all join in!!

the team number is: 44358

Not many people by the looks of things!

apj101

VIP Member
team data will take a while to update, as it is only updated once you have completed a packet of data / unit of work, which may take a few days. Bearing in mind i only just set it up it will take a while for numbers and user to appear on their. Have you signed up. Well done.

If a lot of people sign up (as i hope) i will ask preator if i can post updates of the scores every week or so. So it's prob best if you sign up to folding@home with your computerforum username.

Good on ya!

4W4K3

VIP Member
Is the F@H team still active here? My last team has just died, 0 folders. Looking to join another if I can.

atomic

The thing that worrys me most about these number crunching programs is, i dont have ideal full load temps, isnt this just like running a burn in program all the time?

OvenMaster

VIP Member
Sure is. I've been running F@H for team 11108 (Maximum PC...sorry) since June 2004 and I definitely needed to fix up my cooling to keep temps down. I had to cut a side panel hole and do the direct ducting route.
Tom

4W4K3

VIP Member
Well i dunno if my PC will even run F@H, thought i'd try at least if there was a decent team to join. I can definetly join in May or June though if i get a decent laptop.

tweaker

VIP Member
Nice, I've been thinking of this for a couple of years but never come around to set it up. I'll set up a machine or two next week and donate some cpu time.

apj101

VIP Member
good man,

The_other_one would be a good one to get on board, and he has shed loads of machines.

And of course i assume praetor has a couple, anyone else care to join, just go to http://folding.stanford.edu/
click download on the correct folder for you version of windows/linux/mac
then once down loaded you can specify the team number in the apps config page

If your worried about running your cpu too hard you can limit the cpu 100% for the app.
And the app doesn;t hog cpu cycles so you will never even notice it running.

4W4K3

VIP Member
Just a note, if your computer is old like mine or has limited graphics you should download the text only version. It's smaller and some claim it actually can fold faster, it won't lag your rig up as bad since it's just text, without any fancy protein graphics on your screen.

cell4me

banned
I for one am not doing it...I will probably be seeing alot of you posting in the security section soon with questions like, Why? Howcome? Do you think? Can you help? Along with a hijackthis log...LOL! Just warning ya up front anything that transmits data and uses your internet connection is spyware! You can defend this crapware and install it on your computer if you want but I'm not!

4W4K3

VIP Member
cell4me said:
I for one am not doing it...I will probably be seeing alot of you posting in the security section soon with questions like, Why? Howcome? Do you think? Can you help? Along with a hijackthis log...LOL! Just warning ya up front anything that transmits data and uses your internet connection is spyware! You can defend this crapware and install it on your computer if you want but I'm not!

Wow, :rolleyes:.

I've been folding for 1-2 years with this software. Please don't trash talk what you don't understand and have never experienced. This is malware free, and is designed to try and help different disease research and the like...all at a free cost. The developers make no kind of profit besided kind donations from individuals, and have spent alot of hard work on setting this entire program up. You should be ashamed.