Forgetten my router's IP address

objober

I Have an SMC Barricade SMC7004VWBR Wireless Router which i used to use as my household wireless/wired router, but it turned out to be a hunk of junk and reduced my DSL connection from 3.5megs to a crawling 200Kbps, and at one point I changed the default IP address to something (which I can no longer remember.)

I bought a Linksys router, plugged my DSL modem into the WAN port on that router, and connected the Linksys and SMC with a free port on both, which sped up both the wired/and wireless connection to reasonable speeds (2-3megs)

That was almost a year ago, and now I want to sell my SMC to a friend, because I bought a GOOD wireless G router. But without knowing the IP address he will not be able to configure the router for his connection. is there some sort of "port scanning-type" program or something that I can use to get the router's IP address?

RSVP ASAP

-objober

ATI Radeon 9600SE

silver 95

you can reset it and get the default ip address back. theres usually a pinhole on the back of the router for that. you might have to unplug your router, push in the pin, then plug it back in while holding the pin. another way to do it is to plug into the router that you don't know the ip address for, and then type in ipconfig in the command prompt and look for your gateway. that will prolly be the ip address of the router

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
1. Start --> Run --> cmd
2. Type ipconfig
3. The number associated with "gateway" is you're router's ip

objober

thanx a lot! I tried that initially...and the router didnt revert to the original IP...but when I tried again, and HELD the reset button for almost 20 seconds...it seemed to do the trick.

thanx again, i appreciate it.

-objober