formating

shahin

hey,

i am ,runing win 2k and want to format my 200 gig hard drive. then i want to put win 2k and XP so i can dual- boot.

any help?

cYa

Dart81

Hi,
Insert the CD ROM with WinXP and restart the PC making the boot from cd ROM...a simple program appears...now you have to create 2 partitions on the Hard Disk, and install WinXp in one of these new partitions (first the Program ask you to format the partition....ok format in ntfs!).
When finished insert the CD rom of Win 2K and restart the pc booting from CD again: install win 2k in the other partition(same mode).

When you start the pc you can boot from the first or second partition (C: or D: )to start win XP or 2k!!!
Bye

P.S. if your cd(s)(with winxp or 2k) is(are) not bootable(s), you have to make it(they) bootable(s) first (try to search how to do with google)

Last edited:

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Am still wondering why do you want both 2k and xp pro?
There are a couple proggies out there that refuse to work with XP but do so with 2K. Also, you could have XP for gaming and the 2K for when you're not messing around :)

Grimulus

True. I often times don't think of people actually talking about their machines as doing business work. I had win2k for a while and much prefer xp pro which i'm using now. What stuff doesn't runs on 2k that doesn't on xp that are truly worthy of using 2k over xp? I know my mothers work uses 2k for the thousands of computers they have at her plant. She says win 2k does a little better. I guess she would know since she is over that.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
What stuff doesn't runs on 2k that doesn't on xp that are truly worthy of using 2k over xp?
- Some TV recording apps from Hauuppage
- W2K has more DOS compatability and believe it or not, people still use them apps
- W2K is a much more capable platform for W32 development
- To literally answer your question: "Anything that you don't want to (a) crash or (b) look cute and prissy" even if you use the "professional" look for XP, you might as well go 2K3 ... a lot more performance (hardware level) and much less of the ugly garbage that comes with XP. I use XP but I spent a long time figuring out what crap I want and stripping the rest from the installation/kernal so it pretty much runs like 2K but with a sleeker look to it and not so much crap

I know my mothers work uses 2k for the thousands of computers they have at her plant. She says win 2k does a little better. I guess she would know since she is over that
W2K is proven in a "big-ass" environment like company offices and universities

Grimulus

I think it's your goal to prove me wrong all the time. :p I haven't been here but about a week. :p That's cool man, i love being educated.
2k3 huh? kew.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
I think it's your goal to prove me wrong all the time. I haven't been here but about a week That's cool man, I love being educated.2k3 huh? kew.
LMAO ... just presenting another perspective that's all :p (I've not been here that much longer than you either) :p

charly

the main point

:mad:
W2K does'nt use the full structure from cpu's over 3Ghz. if you need the full architecture from your cpu you need XP or LINUX.
BTW
i just saw a new video about a "real fast INTEL" ! 5Ghz cooled by liquid nitrogen.