Formatting Computer

Poke598

I am going to reformat my Compaq computer. I don't want to do the System Recovery that came with it, because it loads on a lot of junk programs and spyware that I don't want. I do however have a Windows XP Pro SP1 CD that I am wishing to use. Can someone please tell me how I can go about formatting it and installing Windows XP Pro onto the freshly-formatted hard drive? I think I need a boot disc, if I do please tell me.

[tab]

[...]
Your Windows XP CD should be bootable, just boot from the CD and follow the directions. If you run into trouble there are plenty of "how to" guides on the Internet.

Good luck... :)

SFR

Truth fears no questions
Poke598 said:
What about for formatting it? Do I just reboot in Dos Mode and type "Format C"?
When your computer boots up go into your cmos setting and set the boot order so that the CD boots first.

Once the cd has been set to boot first, exit and save settings. Your computer will restart, make sure the xp disk is in the cd-drive. The computer will boot from the cd and you will be able to reformat and repartition your drive.

Poke598

I tried changing the boot settings so that it boots from CD-ROM and nothing else, but then when I reboot it says "DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISC AND PRESS ENTER". When I keep CD-ROM as first and put Hard Disk as second, it skips the CD in the drive and boots to the drive normally. Are you sure I don't need a boot disc or anything to accompany the CD? It is reading the CD, because the green light on the drive flashes, but it doesn't seem to launch it. I tested the CD before I did this, it works from Windows, so I don't see what is wrong.

SFR

Truth fears no questions
Is this a legit Windows XP cd? Or is it one you or someone you know made?

Poke598

It is copy of a legit CD that I made from my brother's. I know it works because I have used it once before on this computer.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
i tried changing the boot settings so that it boots from cd-rom and nothing else, but then when I reboot it says "disk boot failure, insert system disc and press enter".
this is normal :)

when I keep cd-rom as first and put hard disk as second, it skips the cd in the drive and boots to the drive normally. are you sure I don't need a boot disc or anything to accompany the cd? it is reading the cd, because the green light on the drive flashes, but it doesn't seem to launch it.
you are correct in that the cd drive is skipped and it proceeds to boot off the HDD only when

i tested the cd before I did this, it works from windows, so I don't see what is wrong.

boot-instalation and windows-installation are two different things. :)