FPS drops down half way

spinnnerrr

Hello all.

Here are my specs:

Mobo - ASRock Z97 Extreme 6
CPU - i7 4790K - cooled by Corsair h100i
GPU - GTX 980
Storage - 2x Samsung Evo SSD - 1x 250 GB (OS) and 1x 1TB (dedicated to games)
RAM - 16 GB Dominator
PSU - CX 750M

Not sure how long I've had this problem but I find it quite odd that it happens in very low demanding games I play. Starbound is one example. When there is a lot going on within the game, the FPS will drop from 60 to 30. I've tried a couple of things already such as:

Cleaning out any dust (which I do monthly anyway)
Updated BIOS
Cleaned and optimized both my SSD's
Checked temps; all well within recommended readings
Ran multiple Malware programs (a few PUP files were found and deleted)
Updated drivers
Edited some things in "regedit" according to some YouTube videos I found
Went into BIOS and disabled CPU boost to prevent any throttling

I've also read that it may be due to updates in Windows 10. Not sure if this is the reason, but when I cleaned my SSD with the OS on it, I deleted all previous versions of Windows, so I don't know how to go back to a previous version now (if that may even be the reason).

Not sure what else to do.

Any help is much appreciated :)

spinnnerrr

FPS still drops in half. Movement also feels a bit choppy with V-Sync off. There is also no option for V-Sync in game.

Edit: So I changed the V-Sync setting to "Adaptive (half refresh rate)" and it seems to have helped. Still drops from 60 to ~50 when something randomly pops on the screen (ie: someone teleports to my location), but it's only for a split second. I'll update if it gets any better.

Edit 2: okay so after playing for a bit, the FPS will still drop halfway down, but it is not happening as often as it was before. Any other suggestions?

Last edited: