Fresh install of Windows 10 on SSD drive and boot is slow?? 36 Seconds to loggon screen.

nutshellml

Afternoon all. I just installed Win 10 64 bit home on my new Samsung EVO SSD. I have a Dell 8700 i7, 16GB RAM, and before adding any software, from totally off, once I hit the power on button to the logon screen is taking about 36 seconds. Not sure if I set my expectations too high, but my laptop w/ a SSD drive is almost instant. Any thoughts?

nutshellml

So do you see anything specific wrong w/ my BIOS settings... ALSO,
after further testing, four times from off to logon heres my averages:

14 Seconds from pushing ON button to DELL black screen
9 Seconds from the DELL black screen to the Windows Logon Screen.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Dells usually take longer to boot due to bios. How long after pressing power button do you see the windows splash screen with dots going in circles? Is there a quick boot option in the bios?

beers

Staff member
The Dell black screen portion is part of the POST. 9 seconds isn't bad for loading Windows afterward.

Did it install into. UEFI mode? You should be able to tell from running msinfo32 and looking under 'bios mode' on the main screen.

nutshellml

Yes, I checked BIOS Model UEFI. So basically it's about 12 seconds to dell splash screen then about 6-9 to logon. Think that correct... BUT now after the Windows Updates, everything is SLOW. The windows fade slow, the sounds are almost slurred, very odd...

beers

Staff member
I'd pull out some updated drivers for all of your components off of the manufacturers website (ie, support.dell.com). You would likely have a separate set from nvidia or AMD depending on the GPU you have.

W10 is pretty good about installing drivers but it isn't uncommon to have issues with a base install.