From Millennium back to Windows98, Can it be done?

the fixer

A friend wants to go back to Windows98. He feels more comfortable with it, but his latest PC came loaded with Millennium. Ive tried to fdisk but keep getting error messages. I tried to restart with Windows98 boot disk and get as far as the startup wizzard, then stops the upload and informs me that I should use an upgraded version. Is it possible to restart in DOS mode, reformat the C drive, and then load windows98? And if so, whats the step by step. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

kharmini91

I'm not sure if it will work with ME, but keep tapping F8 while you are booting the computer, and you should see a boot option screen. Choose command prompt and format. If not, boot with a rescue disk and choose command prompt, format.
Hope this helps... :D

nomav6

the fixer said:
Ive tried to fdisk but keep getting error messages.
what's the error message, but yea, you can get to DOS and format c: then install 98, good choice too, winME sucks
:)

the fixer

[keep tapping F8 while you are booting the computer, and you should see a boot option screen.]
Tapping the F8 key gives me "Microsoft Windows Millennium Startup Menu" with the options;1.Normal 2. Logged(\bootlog.txt) 3. Safe mode 4. Step by step confirguratiion.
None of these are DOS operated, so they arent a lead-in to formating C:

the fixer

[boot with a rescue disk and choose command prompt]
This allows me to us Windows98 CD to start setup, but only gets me as far as the setup wizzard.

the fixer

[what's the error message]

The error message I get when I restart with any fdisk; "Non-system Disk or Disk Error/ Replace and strike any key when ready"

the fixer

I created an ME startup disk at the Control panel's add/remove. It worked, I formated C drive and started uploading windows98 CD, but now Im stuck at registering Windows98 because it wont accept the "Authenticity Numbers" that came with my original computer. Is there a way around this?

nomav6

theres all kinds of key generators out there, try mIRC, or Kazaa, mIRC is much safer then kazaa though

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Is it possible to restart in DOS mode, reformat the C drive, and then load windows98
Should be doable.

And if so, whats the step by step. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
http://www.duxcw.com/digest/Howto/software/windows/upgrade/fdisk.htm

flying

use a floppy disk to restart your computer,and run format command to format the disk c:.Be sure that the disk c: is FAT formated.

Grimulus

I didn't read all of this thread but just by the title you would be a smart person to at least try to go back to 98.
it's far superior to that of ME.