GeForce GT710 + Athlon II X2 250 3.0 GHz or Intel i3 3210 + its integrated GPU

Dimitri

My GPU failed and I need a new one, but my computer is very old and I figured it might be a better idea for me to buy a CPU with an integrated GPU. The CPU I have right now is Athlon II X2 250 3.0 GHz.
My options are:

1)INNO3D nVidia GeForce GT710, 2 GB DDR3, LP + my current CPU (Athlon II X2 250 3.0 GHz)
So, buying just that card and keeping my current CPU. New, not used.
(InnoVision N710-1SDV-E3BX, Geforce GT 710 2GB SDDR3 64bita, 797 1600, DVI, VGA, HDMI)

2) Intel i3 3210 + its integrated GPU
I would be buying the CPU used and a used MBO to support it

3) g530 + its integrated GPU
Again, used.

Which of those combos is strongest?

I don't play games, I use the computer to browse the internet and watch video/movies in 1080p.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Your cheapest route right now would be to just replace the video card. Options 2 and 3 would not be feasible. Option 2 and 3 would require a different motherboard then the one you have now and you would have problems with windows reactivation. I suggest start saving up for a platform upgrade soon.

Dimitri

Your cheapest route right now would be to just replace the video card. Options 2 and 3 would not be feasible. Option 2 and 3 would require a different motherboard then the one you have now and you would have problems with windows reactivation. I suggest start saving up for a platform upgrade soon.

Actually, because I would be buying options 2 and 3 used, they'd actually be cheaper than the new card. There's a mother board included in deals 2 and 3, so that wouldn't be a problem. I'd need to deal with Windows issues, but I'd work that out.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Not sure what the prices are in your country but I would rather just buy a used gt710 and be on my merry way and not have to worry about changing cpu's and motherboard and having to deal with activation issues. But hey, whatever flips your boat.

aldan

agree with john on this.stay with the athlon and the gt710,and save up for a modern platforn.

beers

Staff member
If you don't mind swapping out parts I'd totally go #2. If you activated with your windows account you can rebind the activation to your new MB pretty easily. The i3 should be noticeably faster than the aging Athlon II even for general tasks and is less expensive than the GPU.

What's the price delta against a i5 3570 or even a 3330? That'd at least give you four physical cores and shouldn't be too much more expensive. Not sure about your area but a 3330 can be had on eBay in the USA for like $16.

Last edited: