Good Brands of RAM

ian

Administrator
Staff member
I have to buy a stick of 512Mb DDR memory tommorrow, what is considered a good brand for someone on a low to medium budget. And are there any brands to be avoided? Just after other opinions.

Christopher

VIP Member
Kingston, Corsair or Crucial. Those are the ones I stick to. Kingston should be in the medium budget range.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
If your budget is crap-all-nothing but you dont want to be running crap, look for Samsung memory :)

ian

Administrator
Staff member
Its not my budget, helping out someone, but I know their cheap, I usually get Kingston RAM thats fairly cheap, but not sure what the shop I end up going to will stock, wanted to know any brands I should avoid.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
I wouldnt say there's anything in particular to "avoid" per se but i guess it depends on the price :) ... ok perhaps i'd stay away from hynix and infineon memory but that's just me...... :)

Grimulus

You will pay for corsair without a doubt, but IMO it's the best ram out there. I would go with crucial otherwise. I just wasn't impressed with my kingston ram. (1gb kit of value)

4W4K3

VIP Member
OCZ is my fav. the EB and EL versions are the best in my opinion. the EB are the best ram for A64 right now. EL are more for XP systems in my opinion. its not too pricey either.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
You will pay for corsair without a doubt
They do make a budget line of memory you know :)

the EB are the best ram for A64 right now. EL are more for XP systems in my opinion. its not too pricey either.
Realistically for 99% of people using memory more bandwidth is the better route so the EB series would be the way to go :)

4W4K3

VIP Member
Praetor said:
Realistically for 99% of people using memory more bandwidth is the better route so the EB series would be the way to go :)

true...i just didnt like the fact that the timings were so loose. that and i didnt have enough money for EB lol. but im not complaining...these overclock well enough.