gpedit.msc missing?

Sypher04

I recently purchased Windows XP Professional Edition and loaded it onto my computer, but after completion of the installation i went to run the Group Policy Object Editor and the computer could not locate the file.

I ran a thorough system search and concluded that the file was in fact never installed.

What do you suggest i do?

ATI Radeon 9800XT 256MB Video Card 8x AGP
SoundBlaster Audigy 2 ZS Platinum PRO Sound Card

Sypher04

"I can email it to you if you want, just pop it in your \system32 folder"

Thank You very much that would be great...

Sypher04

Unfortunately my hotmail account, deemed the attachment unsafe and permanently blocked it.

Could you please try sending it to:
[email protected]

Yes, hopefully this allows me to avoid the system policy editor i am currently attempting to use.

Sypher04

My computer is rejecting the GPedit.msc
It keeps telling me that it has failed to initialize the snap-ins..

why might this be happening?

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Goto Start --> Run --> Type mmc
Once that fires up, press CTRL+M and then click ADD
You should see an entry for "Group Policy"

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah Im beginning to think ur OS is a tad messed up. :S
What exactly are you trying to do with Group Policy? :)

Sypher04

Once i get it going...

I'm going to restrict access to the local drives and settings, for any accounts not in the administrator group.

My family isn't very good with computers, they screw them up.

It's either this or they don't use it, lol

Actually any recommendations for software to lock the internet from downloading, and adult content (little brother)

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
I'm going to restrict access to the local drives and settings, for any accounts not in the administrator group.
You can do this Local Users and Groups

Actually any recommendations for software to lock the internet from downloading, and adult content (little brother)
You can use something like NetNanny etc but a more effective (but longer to setup) is to get a decent firewall and nail all the sites as they come up :p

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
How would you do this?
I might have been talkin smack :p It’s been awhile since i’ve done this... now let’s see......

1. Launch the MMC and add the Local Users Group

2. Now make sure you define your groups (you may want to make a group called "Incompetent Users With Limited Access" hehe or something like that (under the Groups tab).

3. Now in "users" folder make sure the restriected people are not apart of the "admin" usergroup but rather the "limited" usergroup. Goto their properties and mess with the "member of" tab. Make sure you keep yourself as a admin. Even to be safe you might want to make a "backup" Admin user just in case u mess up

4. Close all this stuff and fire up My COmputer or soemthing. Select a drive/folder and goto properties. Now goto the Security tab. Mess with that using the "restricted" usergroup and the "admin" usergroup.

Sypher04

The Group Policy Object Editor is failing to create the snap-in..

is there a file that should have been installed for this?

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
The Group Policy Object Editor is failing to create the snap-in..
Forget the group policy editor. You dont need that to do what i outlined above. jUst the Local Users Group entry. Now if thats messin up......... then there's something on whacked.

Sypher04

For some reason i don't have a security tab, in my properties screen
when i loaded up the properties for my c:\windows folder it wasn't there.

I also tried it with multiple different folders... none seem to have one.

i think it may be time to take my O/S back!