Hard Disk Woes....

jxer00

Hey all!

Hope you can help! Win98 cant see my second hard drive......I recently fried my computer and had to rebuild another one. So I built a pc and put a hard drive in and installed win98 (im broke, cant pay for xp again right now). All my old files etc are on the second hard drive though. I can see the hard drive inside of BIOS. But when I view my computer in windows, all I see is the main drive....what is up with this? The os drive is set as master. The second drive is set as slave. The second drive does have xp installed...is this a problem? I dont understand why BIOS sees my second drive but windows doesnt......Help !!! Any advice appreciated.

Geoff

VIP Member
Correct me if im wrong, but i think that Win98 can only see FAT drives, and most likely the one with Win XP was NTFS, that may be why. But im not positive.

jxer00

Ah....that makes sense. Thank you all. I am wondering, if I upgrade to win2k will I be able to set this right? Thanks again!

jxer00

xp is working

Well, I got Win Xp working instead so I guess thanks anyway...just for others though....would win2k have solved this? I did a google search and it seemed that win2k could read some of this format but...?