Hard drive split in two...?

Fure6

Story:
when i reformatted my computer to winME from XPpro, my 9.(somthing)GB hard drive turned into 1.99GB. Then when i updated to XPpro again, it made a 7.52GB hard drive so there was a 1.99 and a 7.52GB hard drive.

Problem:
Now whenever I try to install a program, it scans the 1.99GB hard drive for space instead of the 7.52GB hard drive and it says that there is no more space left on the hard drive so it automatically stops the installation.

Question:
Is there a way that i can change what the defult hard drive is, or put the "different" hard drive together?

extraction

Sounds like the OS partitioned itself in part of the drive (probably "C") and created a second virtual drive (probably "D"). Easy way is when you're installing your program choose the proper drive when you're asked where you want the program to go - "Browse" , because by default it will usually install itself in "C" and if your're just hitting "OK" everytime or "Next" you might not notice this...

Also if you play around with Partition Magic you can probably fix it, however this program itself probably exceeds your're available space on the "default" drive...

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Is there a way that I can change what the defult hard drive is, or put the "different" hard drive together?
You can always change the drive letters ... it would be a pain in the arse to rematch the drive letters for currently installed programs but doable if you dont want to "merge" partitions or anything. Again, the Partition Magic can handle that task with a "live" drive

Fure6

extraction said:
Easy way is when you're installing your program choose the proper drive when you're asked where you want the program to go - "Browse" , because by default it will usually install itself in "C" and if your're just hitting "OK" everytime or "Next" you might not notice this...
I have done this...but some programs before it actually installs, scans the hard drive and says insuffinant (sp) space.

i'll try to change the letter of the drive. How do you do this?

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Well the easy way is to reinstall, destroy paritions in doing so and then remake the paritions however if you need the data, use Partition Magic or something like that, right click on the partition, select "Advanced" and "Change Drive Letter"

Fure6

ohhhh man, reformat? it'd be the 3rd or 4th time in like a two month span...but i guess you don't think much of reformatting, praetor, since you do it like once a week or somthing...

so is letter "c" like the default drive letter?

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
ohhhh man, reformat? it'd be the 3rd or 4th time in like a two month span...but I guess you don't think much of reformatting, praetor, since you do it like once a week or somthing...
In what I just said, I didnt once use the word format or reformat (although it's an included process); what said was to destroy the partitions and rebuild them -- reformatting alone isnt enough to fix things. Also, I didnt say that was the only way to do things.

so is letter "c" like the default drive letter?
Default for what? The answer is probably yes