HD RPM question

pyroguy_3

I am looking at laptops for college at the moment. i've decided to get a gaming computer and i've been looking at cyberpower pc " www.cyberpowersystem.com ". and i've been looking at different systems and i have a question about the hard drive speed. what do the different speeds have to do with performance? do faster hard drives save faster or load faster? the computer i've been looking at is the x5-5000 and x5-6000, by the way. any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks

andrew.

4W4K3

VIP Member
faster the RPM's the less time it takes to spin up the drive, access files, search for files, sort files, and get info from files. realistically by a few seconds if not less...but all that time combined makes a lot of difference. especially when reformatting, saving HUGE files, backing up HD, transferring large amounts of data etc. so i would definetly go for the fastest RPM drive you can afford. it might be louder bcuz it spins so fast...but i have a WD 7200RPM drive and it is virtually silent. hope that helps

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
it might be louder bcuz it spins so fast
Typically not really noticeable however -- at least not when the heavy fans kick in to exhaust the heat from the notebook.

what do the different speeds have to do with performance? do faster hard drives save faster or load faster?
Yep! If you want raw performance, they have Hitachi 60GB 10000RPM drives available for notebooks however it will come at a cost to battery life :)