!!!!HELP!!!! Computer problem...

rsanchez

When I go to turn on my computer, it starts for half a second then immediately shuts off. It looks like it wants to turn on but can't. I built this computer myself and it has been running great for about a month now. It was working fine yesterday, and today it did this. Does anyone have any ideas as to what it could be? Maybe the power supply, but its brand new...Any ideas as to what it might be or how i can find out what the problem is?
Thank you,
rsanchez

rsanchez

It was an 80 dollar power supply....the ultra X connect...i tried another power supply and it did the same thing...starts for half a second and shuts off...

Last edited:

kobaj

VIP Member
Hmm, well make sure all your heatsinks are on correctly? Although I dont think it could heat up that fast. Does it beep/blink enything? Do your fans spin? Monitore do enything?

rsanchez

I have liquid cooling on my PC. The fans on it start up and the lights turn on and it beeps. but after like 1 second it suddenly just shuts off...

joshj

It sounds like the mobo has gone bad. I had that happen with a computer I built, and I thought it was the psu. tried a new one, didn't help, so we sent the mobo in for RMA, and now it works fine after replacement.

rsanchez

it doesn't stay on lond enough for me to know...when i disconnect the power cable from the power supply and plug it back in it makes a faint fizzling sound that is continous, so i am thinking the power supply is bad...is there any way to test the power supply.

rsanchez

sent the motherboard in for an RMA? what is RMA? does that cost? or will my ASUS P5P800 have a warranty on it?

kobaj

VIP Member
RMA is how you return something that is defective. Unfortunutly it only works if your mobo is under warranty. But you call the place you purchesed the mobo from and they should tell you everything you nead to know.

Camper

i would reinstall the PSU and the cpu takeout all your ram except for one stick and all your pci cards unhook your cd rom, floppy and fans from the PSU. Basically just have your video card, cpu, HD, 1 RAM stick, and a keyboard turn it on and see what happens.

ilovefishsticks

Did you ever go inside the case between the time u shut it off and turned it on and wasnt working?? You may have fried the mobo by not grounding yourself, i fried my first mobo the first day i hooked mine up by not using standoffs... :p

ilovefishsticks

Then if the same thing is happening, your gonna need a new motherboard, and on the new one make sure u use standoffs (little 1 cm screws that go into case with another screwhole on top, goes inbetween the mobo and case). Newegg took my fried mobo back with paying 15% restock fee.