Help! Do I need to upgrade my pc??

marquita188

i need help! DO I NEED TO UPGRADE MY PC??
I have no TV Tuner card, no video card, and no graphics :confused:

Compaq Presario 6350US
Mini-Tower
intel p4 2.4ghz
512mb ddr sdram
80gb hard drive
40x cd-rw drive
16x dvd-rom drive
integrated graphics 64mb shared video memory
ethernet port
usb 2.0 ports: 6
fax/modem
6ch sound card

if you want to know more about my computer it's in the attach file, didn't feel like writing it all down again fingers hurt :(

Last edited:

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
LOL sorry my bad. That's just a classic case of me not being able to read. To save people the trouble of downloading, here's the text file:

*Help! Do I need to upgrade my pc??*
------------------------------------------------------------------------
I don't know much about computers.. but I have used computers before.

I like to use my computer downloading lots of programs, music (iTunes) and photos, watching DVD videos, making CD's, Data disc's, photo disc's, etc...

here's what I would like to do on my computer ... watch TV record TV, make copies of my movies, transfer BIG files from one pc to the next, install BIG programs, files, etc..

Here's my system:

Compaq Presario 6350US
Power Supply: 100-240 VAC 50-60 Hz
System Bus: 400 MHz
Intel Pentium 4 processor 2.4GHz
512MB DDR SDRAM Memory
80GB Ultra DMA Hard Drive
40x10x40x max. speed CD-RW Drive
DVD-ROM Drive 16x max. speed with Intervideo Win DVD 6 Platinum
Floppy Drive 1.44MB 3.5-inch
Integrated Intel Extreme Graphics 64MB shared video memory
C-Media Chaintech INC. AV512 8738 6ch LX Sound Card
VIA OHCI IEEE 1394 3 external ports 1 internal ports FireWire Card
USB 2.0 Ports: 6 (4 back, 2 front)
Two 5.25 Bays, Two 3.5 Bays
Free Internal Bays: 1
Parallel Ports: 1
VGA Video Out Ports: 1
high-speed V.90 data/fax modem
Presario keyboard
HP PS/2 Mouse
10/100 Ethernet
Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition,
Microsoft Office 2002 Pro
Monitor Dell E771p 17' in CRT
No TV Tuner Card, Video Card, Graphics Card

Ok the basic important summary of your specs are:
- P4A-2.4 (NorthwoodA is the codename if you're curious and it runs off the much older 400Mhz FSB)
- Unknown motherboard (for now) with onboard graphics
- 80GB and 512MB DDR (probably PC2100 but not sure yet)

To answer your question, I wouldnt especially think you would need an upgrade unless you weere a gamer or in this case, you want to have TV capabilities. The simplest solution would be to get something like an ATI All-in-Wonder videocard although it might not be the cheapest route. The cheapest route would involve getting a dedicated TV card, soemthing like a product from Hauppagge or ATI. My reccomended route would be to get the ATI All In Wonder 9600 - 128MB a solid allaround card with TV capabilities. Now if you want more serious video type operations you should look into a more professional-type card but that's a different discussion.

That aside, given that you will want to do video recordings and such, you'll be interested in doing a system updgrade. Before I can really suggest what kind of specific upgrades you'll want I'll need some more information:
1. What kind of budget are we talking here? :)
2. Download the program CPUz from http://www.cpuid.com and fill me in on the following:

- From the Mainboard tab, please post all the info in the Motherboard Box
- From the Memory tab, the box labeled Size and the one labeled Frequency

marquita188

thanks :D for writing all that down, and for the program I didn't feel like opening up my pc!!!!!!!
budget is unknown for now untill the person I know will get by to me...
but I thought would need a ATI chip to use a ATI product?? because I've reviews that said your motherboard would need a ATI chip... :confused:

Mainboard Tab:
Manufacturer: ASUSTeK Computer INC.
Model: P4G533LA REV 1.xx
Chipset Intel i845GL
Rev. AL
Southbridge: Intel 82801DB (ICH4)
Brand: Award Software, Inc.
Version: 3.03
Date: 10/08/2002

Memory Tab:
Size: 512MBytes
Modules Info: DIMM 1 and 2 Samsung DDR-SDRAM PC2100 - 256 MB
Frequency: 132.8 MHz

..well I hope this helps?? :cool:

Last edited:

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
but I thought would need a ATI chip to use a ATI product?? because I've reviews that said your motherboard would need a ATI chip...
Nah .. it can get a bit complicated but the simple story is: the video card is completely independent of the rest of the system.

..well I hope this helps??
Yep, it's enough to give an interim upgrade reccomendation :)

1. You will need a TV tuner one way or another to be able to watch television on your computer

2. Your mobo should be able to accept the NorthwoodB chips although it would not be an advised upgrade unless you absolutely had to have an upgrade but couldnt get a new mobo because of some reason. The newer NorthwoodB's were eventually scrapped by Intel when the NorthwoodCs became such a hit. I'd reccomend you upgrade to a NorthwoodC if possible

3. Another very big improvement you would benifit from is more memory. Bring your system to a minimum of 512MB total of system memory and you will notice a big improvement in performamce as well as the ability to smoothly perform video operations. Ideally id reccomend 1GB before considering video operations (of course depending on intensity) but in this specific case i wouldnt spend that much money since you willl probably want to get a new mobo before you upgrade the speed of the memory and to take advantage of dual channel memory (available on newer mobos).

4. Your harddrive is a decent size although bigger is always better in this case.

marquita188

oh yeah I forgot to tell you that this dumb motherboard don't have a AGP Slot, I have no idea why this motherboard have no AGP Slot??? :confused:

I already have a total of 512MB in Two 256MB

Last edited:

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Oh right i forgot about that ..... ATi has an Radeon7500 All-in-Wonder which is a PCI card :) ... you might consider upgrading the motherboard while you're at it but that depends on your budget :)

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
1. The last PCI AIW was the 7000
2. I wasnt aware of a 9200 being PCI... are you sure you dont mean 9000?
3. It might be wiser to get a more recent video card and get a sepearate video tuner if you've got a tight budget.. perhaps the Radeon9200(SE) and an ATi/Hauppage TV tuner? If you've got a bigger budget then perhaps the Radeon9600 AIW

marquita188

Yeah! I might get that TV Tuner card.... :)

I'm also thinking about getting a front-panel hub like Koutech (black) 10-in-1media reader but I wanna know how do I install this in my computer ?? :confused:

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
The short: pop open the case and screw it in
The long: see the manual which will come with the reader :)

marquita188

well. will the motherboard you recommend to me, handle up too 4 "ATA-100" devices??
I don't think the motherboard I have now will...
I don't know much about motherboards....

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
well. will the motherboard you recommend to me, handle up too 4 "ATA-100" devices??
I don't think the motherboard I have now will...
I don't know much about motherboards....
Your motherboard should support 4 ATA100 devices ... almost every motherboard made in the last 15 years should :) But, if you want a new motherboard, I would reccomend you upgrade both the motherboard and the CPU simultaneously as there are not very many (good) motherboards that support Socket423 which is used by the NorthwoodA chips you have (check the "Codename" under the CPU Tab in CPUz to see if you're running a NorthwoodA, I think you are). Something like the P4P800: a solid performer, a good price and allows you to make use of a lot more fancy hardware and stuff and it doesnt cost all that much. Of course the P4P800 (as well as virtually every other Socket478 CPU), will require you to upgrade your CPU too. There are convertors that allow you to use a Socket423 chip (like the one you have) in a Socket478 motherboard but I wouldnt advise that :)

marquita188

I can't seem to find any transfer kits to transfer old data from one pc to the new pc that will, also transfer my software programs too..
can you tell me what kits that are out there, that can also transfer programs too??
and can I use my 80GB hard drive on my new computer with the new hard drive together or apart??

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
I can't seem to find any transfer kits to transfer old data from one pc to the new pc that will, also transfer my software programs too..
can you tell me what kits that are out there, that can also transfer programs too??
Well you shouldnt have to if you just use the old harddrive. Of course if you make major changes to the hardware platform you will have to reinstall the OS (and odds are that will mean you will lose your programs anyways so just backup your data). Now if you're really interested in backing apps up, try Norton Ghost.

marquita188

I know some kid that has two hard drives with two different OS on his computer, maybe I can just put the old hard drive in my new computer??

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
yes that is what i meant when i said "Well you shouldnt have to if you just use the old harddrive" ... when making the new computer, just move the harddrive to the new machine :)

marquita188

Praetor said:
yes that is what i meant when i said "Well you shouldnt have to if you just use the old harddrive" ... when making the new computer, just move the harddrive to the new machine :)

ok thanks :p