HELP!!(Fix Computer)

dmsee

One time i lost power in my house and my computer too.
When i turned it in It gave me this message
Non-System disk or disk error
Replace and strike any key again

PLEASE HELP

Bobo

banned
dmsee said:
One time i lost power in my house and my computer too.
When i turned it in It gave me this message
Non-System disk or disk error
Replace and strike any key again

PLEASE HELP

Take out a floppy disk

Make sure all HDD's are connected

Google

?????

Bobo

banned
Q. What causes a non-system disk error?

A. Non-System Disk or Disk Error results when the Basic Input/Output System (BIOS) cannot find the boot sector or the master boot record is missing or damaged; i.e. the device does not have bootable media. The BIOS searches drives in the order usually specified in the CMOS Setup. This order is often, but not always, A: (floppy drive), C: (first partition on the hard disk)… The error will occur during startup if the CMOS is set so the BIOS seeks the floppy drive first and a non-bootable (or blank) floppy is in (was left in) the floppy drive. Other causes include:

* No bootable partition on a hard disk drive
* A defective hard disk drive
* The CMOS drive settings (parameters) are not correct for the boot device
* Defective floppy
* Defective floppy drive
* A virus

Hope this helps

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
1 of 2 things has happened or maybe both.
1. Like Bobo said, you may have a floppy disk in the drive
2. The power outage may ahve surged and corrupted some of your files

its not necessarily a defective harddrive

Bobo

banned
dmsee said:
What should do to make it work?

Is there a floppy in the drive?

If not, go into the bios and make sure it will boot off the CD drive. Then, boot off the CD

If/When it boots, check the HDD, reformat it, etc IF NEEDED

Other than that, I dunnnnnno

To possibly prevent this from happening in the future try buying a surge protecter/battery backup. I would recomend a company that pays money if your computer is plugged into the surge protecter while there is a power surge, and your computer is still damaged . some companies will pay $25k, $50k, $75k, or even $100k! look into it.

funkymonky8u

wut i would do is take ur hrad drive out and take it to a friends and back up if u can all data that u need, then get ur restore discs and have ur comp fresh and new again its like the same feeling as clean sheets :) :)

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
What should do to make it work?
What happened was that poiwer surge most likely toasted the bootsector of the drive (or at the worst fried it but thats hopefully, unlikely) The quickest solution would be to reinstall/repair the XP installation by booting off the CD and going through the repair process that way :)