Help me build a computer

Stupendous Man

I need some help building a new computer. The plan is to spend ideally around CAD $1700 or so tax in, and complete excluding softare, moniters, speakers, keyboard, etc. Computer to be based around gaming. If anyone has done this and has a spreadsheet of components and prices with locations/sites/stores that would be super helpful. I'm definately not all that wise in this area, but if you've read this far you've probably figured that out by now havent you? Thanks for any help, if you feel like speccin out a comp for me feel free :D

Edit: Alright I have a lot more questions. I don't really know where to start. I will have someone helping me once I actually start to seriously spec parts but right now I'm just playing and seeing what I can do. Where do I start? Processor, motherboard?? I also plan to OC this (with help for experienced people) so... not sure where I'm going with this so we'll say just say yes. Yes. Not sure if withing my budget it is worth while to run a cd rom and dvd rom writeable drive? Would I be better to just run one over the other and spend the money elsewhere or what? What am I really looking for when building something to game on? What little things am I really looking for on components?

Sure I'll figure most of this out once I start looking around and researching but for now I'm lost, scared, and all I really want to do is ride my bike :eek:

Last edited:

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Where in ontario :) (dont forget that as an international forum, not everyone is aware of tax rates in ON). These are a bit date but give a decent view of street prices:

CPU AMD Athlon64-3500 (Newcastle) [$330]
MOBO MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum [$170]
RAM 512x2 KingMax PC3200 [$200]
HDD Western Digital 200GB [$135]
VIDEO BFG 6800OC [$375]
OPTICAL LiteOn 52x32x52x16 Combo [$50]
COOLING Thermaltake Venus12/Silentboost K8 [$40]
SOUND Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS [$90]
CASE+POWER Whatever [$100]
Subtotal: $1490CAD
NET: $1714

Just a quick lookie :)

Stupendous Man

Wow quick reply thanks. Tax rates 15% in Ont, but if I'm ordering of internet sites then sometimes... Near Hamilton/Burlington in that area. How about you?

Just looking through the former pages and there seems to be a lot poeple like me? Note to self, check search.

jing

About Praetor's recommendation,I think it's very good.
In our here ,It will be more expensive.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Now there are a couple options if you'd like to improve the system ... as it stands, by the time any category is seriously obsolete, it will probably be time to redo the whole machine anyways but a couple things to consider:
- Dropping the video card (use onboard), and dropping down to a, say 160GB WD drive ... that should give you money to upgrade the video unit to the 6800GT (or you can try your hand at softmodding the V9999GE)
- Dropping the soundcard will give you the capacity to get a nice DVD Burner if you're into that :)