Help me choose some antivirus?

monoman

Hi, haven't posted here in a while, hope everyone's well :)

Basically my Norton subscription has only a few days left now, and I'm looking at other alternatives for anti virus packages. Since I'm not really up to date with anti virus software, what is the best choice for me?

I'm hopefully looking for something that is not only antivirus, but also has a good firewall, and anti spyware too. And also I want something thats free. I don't really mind if I have to get three seperate packages, one for each, but so long as they are free and perform well.

I've been recommended AVG, and NOD32, but both free versions seem very limited, and I don't think either has a firewall, or anti spyware.

Thanks for the help,
Mono

colt1911

For your anti-virus I recommend Avast or AVG both have free versions and are good programs. For a firewall either windows firewall or Zonealarm, which both are free. I use windows firewall but also a router which is very good. For your anti-spyware use Spybot search and destroy, spyware terminate, or Avg has a free one also.

hermeslyre

VIP Member
I've never paid for a AV or AS, so I dunno what is included in their packages, But i can tell you that i've used most of the free sorts and have never come acrossed one with a firewall, and I can't say I've seen an AV with AS support along with it.

That said some free Anitvirri scanners come with a form of "resident protection". It'll monitor what's on your computer, to a limited extent, and warn you if, say you download some um, kitty pictures, and instead a trojan or highjacker sort comes aboard. Very useful. Avira Antivir (I'm using) and Avast are two sorts that use this. Neither have Antispyware support, so you'll need a AS. Certain AS' have the same form of "resident monitoring", Spyware terminator (im using) is the only one i can think of at the moment, that incorporates this.

As for a Firewall, the Hardware firewall included in most router are the best. Add to that fact a router effectively becomes the computer and hides the real computer behind a client PIPA (Private IP address) it really shapes up to be the best protection available for the PC. If you can't get one, for any reason, a software firewall is the second best option. Comodo and zonealarm are two firewalls that are much better than the generic Windows firewall and should replace it immediately, if not already done. :)

Shane

Super Moderator
Staff member
NOD32 is the best IMO, but it isnt free. there is a trial though

yes if you want a paid antivirus then go NOD.

Its brilliant...picks up nastys quickly,Hardly uses any system resources (Unlike greedy norton :D )