[Help Me]Fixing Up A New Computer

QuinnC11

I guess since this is my first post ill introduce myself first. My name is Quinn, and i am 17. Thats enough of an introduction for now :).

Anyway the reason im posting is because i recieved a new-old computer from a buddy of mine. Its a very old computer that hes had for a while. I'd like to completely wipe the hard drive so there is no information on it that anyone could dig up. I'd also like to put a new OS on it, maybe linux or a newer version of Windows. So ill go ahead and post some details below.

The computer is a Dell Dimension 2400 series. Its currently running Windows XP and has a pretty nasty virus(Antivir Solution Pro) on it that i can probably remove on my own but i'd rather skip the step and just wipe the drive if possible.

Anyway, what i'm hoping to achieve is make the computer twice as fast for the lowest cost possible. If that means that the best way to do this is to buy a processer for 50 bucks im good with doing that. I already removed one of the 256 ram sticks and replaced it with a gig but that didnt really seem to help much on this old piece of junk.

So heres where you guys come in, i know this probably sounds like im asking to be spoonfed but im not. I'd just like to know what software you guys would use if you were going about wiping the computer and what steps you would take to making it faster.

Thanks in advance,
-Quinn

Aastii

VIP Member
Lots of people will have different opinions of what you should get with Linux, and I don't have a heck of a lot of experience with it, not enough to offer good advice, but for windows, all you will need is an anti-virus program, ccleaner and defraggler.

Avast! would be the anti-virus I recomend as it is very, very light, acts as a firewall and anti-virus, and does a very good job of it too. Best of all, it is free:

http://download.cnet.com/3001-2239_...2af0c90f0ae13cf82f4f36390296037&part=dl-85737

ccleaner is a program that gets rid of all the unnecessary files from your system, like temporary files, cookies, cached web pages etc. Run it once a week or so and it will keep the crap in your system down:

http://download.piriform.com/ccsetup236.exe

And defraggler is defragmentation software. The windows one is rubbish, but defraggler is pretty good, and again, like the other 2 programs, completely free. The only downside is when you run it, to get maximum effect, you will have to run it 2 or 3 times in a row. The first will defragment most files, the second will do the rest and condense the information better, and the third will tidy everything up properly:

http://download.piriform.com/dfsetup121.exe

daisymtc

CPU - won't worth upgrade as it already outdated.

OS -Don't get newer windows, I doubt if it will run smoothly. Probably best to try ubunbu 10.10

bodtree

Just use the new OS - stick XP back on it and use the dell web site for the drivers. You will find the service tag on the back of the machine. Use this to get the dirvers. What CPU is it? More ram would help you.

If you wanted to do a proper disk wipe use DBAN - this will only work as long as the disk is sound ie: has no errors. If not start installing xp and then turn machine off then do it again, and again and again. This will have over written the data a few times then.

Aastii

VIP Member
Alright thanks guys, but what should i use to erase the harddrive. Anyone used KillDisk?

KillDisk is very, very good, but can take a long time depending what settings you use. Unless you are selling the system on, it is pointless though anyway, you aren't going to try and get your friends, or your own data are you :p ?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
I would just reinstall XP and delete existing partitions, repartition and then format. You really can't install Vista or 7 as its an old system and only has a max memory size of 2gb total, so keeping XP is your best bet.

However, if you are able to download and install programs, I'm pretty good at helping people remove infections. We can remove it if you want to, let me know.

bodtree

To remove "Antivir Solution Pro" or any of its variants use Super AntiSpyware!

When the machine boots just before the desktop arrives press Ctrl + Alt + Del and open task manager (as once loaded it will say " you cannot open task manager as its a virus" rubbish)
End the process of the virus - easiest way to find it is to sort by either memory usage or cpu usage and it will probably have a name like av.exe or something. Kill this process. Then run the super antispyware program. Just download the portable version and dont bother installing it just run it. The antispyware file is called something like SAS1234.com so the Antivirus virus doesnt stop it running (if you have not managed to kill the process)

This anti spyware will remove the virus. Run the quick scan initially then reboot. Then run a full scan using your own antivirus software (Microsoft Security Essentials or what not)

You can then re run Super Antispyware if you like to make sure and check the registry but it should be gone after the above.

That said, I personally would never trust a machine again that had had this virus on so would wipe my machine and start again.