Help Meeeee! I just Built a Computer!!!!!

neptune_56

Ok So Me and my friend just updated my old computer, I transfered all of my documents to my parents Dell, formated the Hardrive, installed windows XP home, I installed all the drivers and everything, then the the monitor came (we were using an anchient 15" to do everything else) I hooked up the monitor and everything worked fine, but I didn't install the Drivers for the monitor :( . I shut down Trasfered all my old doucments from the dell to the new hd, pluged it all together and now the computer boots up, the monitor's lcd flashes like its sleeping. I turn on the monitor then the computer shuts off. I've also tried different monitors :confused: :mad: :confused:

ASUS "A7N8X-X" nForce2 400
AMD 2700+
nVIDIA GeForce MX4000
512 PC2100
40gb WDhd
350 Power supply

oh and the monitor is the samgsung

Syncmaster793mb

tommy8748

neptune_56 said:
I've also tried different monitors :confused: :mad: :confused:

If you have tried different monitors then it is definately something with the graphic card.(sorry for all these replies lol)

neptune_56

no no no i had an anchient monitor to beging with and set it up, then i got the new monitor which is the samgsung

Lorand

<b>VIP Member</b>
How have you transfered the files? Taking out the hard-drive from the computer and plugging into the other computer?

Lorand

<b>VIP Member</b>
The error could be related to inserting the hard-drive? I once broke something on a mobo while inserting the cd-rom... :mad:

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
but I didn't install the Drivers for the monitor
You dont have to.

the monitor's lcd flashes like its sleeping
Is this a LCD or a CRT?

I once broke something on a mobo while inserting the cd-rom...
Clever :p

Neptune: check that everything is seated properly .... do you have video right when you turn your computer on and then it dissapears or do you not see anything at all

Grimulus

My samsung does the same thing. It's done it like once or twice. I think the power save sometimes gets activated some how. It's nothing to worry about as a defect I don't believe. If it continues maybe, but yeah mines done it to. I don't like it either but to me it's not big deal.

neptune_56

ok but how do i get anything to show on the monitor oh and I ment the LED is flashing not the lcd sorry :eek: :eek: the monitor is a CRT

Last edited:

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Are you absolutely certain:
1. The display works
2. The video card is firmly connected
3. The cable is firmly conencted
:)

Grimulus

neptune_56 said:
ok but how do i get anything to showon the monitor oh and I ment the LED is flashing not the lcd sorry :eek: :eek:

I know what you meant man.

Yeah mines done that. Are you saying it does this EVERY time? And you can't get a display at all?

neptune_56

ok the Video card isinf firmly the cable is connected, The monitor worked before I shut down the computer and put the on files back on it, then I tried to boot back up and the screen is blank, but the led is flashing. If it is the monitor how to I get it out of the power save mode?

Last edited:

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
If it is the monitor how to I get it out of the power save mode?
Turn it off and turn it back on; monitors default to "ready" mode upon power up

It seems that the video card might not be functional? Or the slot might be gone?

Grimulus

try this. unplug the monitor from the wall, turn on your comp and when you think windows or whatever is up, plug it in. just see what happens.

neptune_56

Praetor said:
Turn it off and turn it back on; monitors default to "ready" mode upon power up

once the computer is on and I turn the monitor on again the computer will shut off, or nothing will happen.

But once I get home Grimulus I will try what you said. Thanks you guys for all of you help I realy appreciate it! :) :)

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
once the computer is on and I turn the monitor on again the computer will shut off, or nothing will happen.
A sign that no signal is getting from the video card to the monitor. Check the card/slot (or even the cable)