Help.. Newbie here! Data Recovery

britestar

Hi all!
I'm a newbie here, and just by browsing around, figured out that everybody is so helpful.

My dad had a problem with his laptop (WinXP), corrupted data or something like that. He asked the IT guy in the company to fix it. The guy tried to fix it with recovery CD. However, now the computer does not recognize the operating system anymore and this guy could not remember the options that he chose during the recovery.

Is it possible that he reformatted the drive? If he did, can the data be recovered? What is the best way to recover the data? Right now, I'm telling him not to reinstall the OS or anything else. I want to hear from you guys first. TIA!

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
this guy could not remember the options that he chose during the recovery
Grounds for getting fired :p (professionals either a. dont mess up and remember or b. more commonly, to avoid getting sued, keep logs of everything) :p

The guy tried to fix it with recovery CD. However, now the computer does not recognize the operating system anymore and this guy could not remember the options that he chose during the recovery.
1. Moron. If he's gonna ****up then at least remember how u fckt up so you dont do it again ... ugh.
2. Odds are, even if he didnt reformat, you'll either have/want to reformat -- its not that hard nor complicated so you're better doing it urself :)

Is it possible that he reformatted the drive? If he did, can the data be recovered? What is the best way to recover the data? Right now, I'm telling him not to reinstall the OS or anything else. I want to hear from you guys first. TIA!

If he pressed F or L then odds are something was formatted (if I recall the buttons correctly, I can check if its utterly important). To see if he formatted, power up on a boot disc/cd and simple type "Dir c:" at either the command prompt or the recovery console ... if you see stuff then odds are you're ok (check whatever drive is relevant of course). If he did reformat then, unless the data was worth a lot to you then you prolly wont get it recovered (if it was, have a look at data recovery experts, they see this kinda situation all the time)