!!! Help with XP install???

isaacual69

hello everyone...i never came across this problem before, so if anyone can help, that would be great...

i just put together a pc from spare parts that never were really used, specs are as follows:

asus k8v se deluxe (socket 754)
1 gig ddr333 (1x1gig)
amd athlon 64 3200+
ati x1600xt agp
memorex dvd burner
Western digital 120 gig hdd
aus 550w psu

now when i first booted it up, i went into the bios to make sure that everything registered and that the temps were alright, in which case everything checked out. The drives, ram, agp, cpu...everything looks good.

So i then insert my xp pro disc and restart to install windows, and "sometimes" it will go to the first blue screen where it tells you what its loading. but when it gets ready to show you the screen where it gives the option to install a fresh copy or repair, it just reasarts instead and starts over. Sometimes i wont even get through the first loading, it will get hung up on "kernal debugger dll" then i have to reset and try again.

i dont know what could be causing this. i took out every compnent except the mother board and cpu, and put them into a dell pentium 4 and all works as it should and my xp disc goes through as it should. any ideas?....i will be amazed if we can figure this out, as well as so thankful.

PC eye

banned
To force boot from disk requires setting the cd rom option as the only boot device enabled in the bios. That means disabling the hard drive until the installer finishes copying the installation files to the hard drive/partition where those are going. That would insure no inference from other drives there. That's when you re-enable the hard drive as the 1st and only device upon the initial restart.

The problem with restarting on it's own suggests a possible supply or board issue to consider since the disk apparently works elsewhere meaning no scratches, finger marks, or simply a bad disk. You may be seeing the power drop from either or the drive needs a cleaning like the lens itself? If that isn't properly reading the installation would stall there.

isaacual69

well i got an error screen saying that my current bios isnt fully acpi compliant...what does that mean. i try to go to asus site to get the latest bios, but there site is not working...can anyone else help with my problem please...perhaps link me to my bios update...the board is an asus k8vse deluxe..thanks

isaacual69

no, ive already tried this and that dont work. i think i need to update the bios, but when i dl the files onto floppy it didnt work. im lost man...can someone please help

PC eye

banned
last i remember, you reset the bios by just removing that little battery correct?

That depends on the board. On many board you would simply move the jumper over from the default pin combination of 1+2 to 2+3 for so many seconds and then return it to the default position. On other boards you still do the same after removing the battery. Most new board now simply require removing the baterry for some 30 seconds there.

When using the floppy method you still need the AwdFlash tool from Asus as well as having a copy of the update on the root of the hard drive as well as the floppy itself. Then there's the option to use a winflash tool. Newer Asus models also have the EZBios method for live update. And yes it has been a real pain trying to get onto the Asus support pages in recent months.