here are my compnents.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Since Newegg refuses to load on my computer (well, refuses to load in a decent amount of time), can you spec what those things are?

Shadowz

Looks alright to me but in my opinion the power supply looks goofy and I may get a motherboard with the nforce2 chipset its got good reviews checkout toms hardware guide they got reviews on most hardware

Nephilim

VIP Member
Depending on your budget you may look into a motherboard with either the VIA KT800 or nForce3 chipset.

The power supply looks a bit questionable to me too. I'd suggest going for performance over looks in something like an Antec or Enermax PSU.

Looks like a very nice machine in the making though :)

Flash_AAA

That power supply sure looks cool and has power, some nice options but its a trusted brand name like Antec and Enermax.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
1. I wont mention the thingy about the PSU as everyone here's said it

2. Stay away from the Via chipset, grab the NForce2 (the KT800 and nForce3 are for the A64 platform). Might I reccomend the ASUS A7N8X series or the Abit NF7 line, both are stellar boards running off the nForce2 chipset

3. For the harddrive you might consider getting an 8MB cache version; there's a noticeable performance improvement

4. Dont forget a cooler; anything short of a Volcano7+ wouldnt make me comfortable ... if you're interested in power, go for the Polo735/Volcano12 and if you want quiet, go for the Silentboost K7 all of which are made by Thermaltake

valve

thanks for the feed back. I will try and get a mother bord with one of the suggested chipsets. I did try and go with power and low price for my psu, The way it looks is something that I would change if I had the option to.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Speaking of which I should also suggest you grab the Barton2500 ... they can very easily OC to XP3200 and beyond and you'll save some money to put somewhere else :)

valve

how about this MotherB? MSI "KM4AM-L"(MS-6734-050) KM400A Chipset Motherboard for AMD Socket A CPU -RETAIL
Specifications -

Supported CPU: AMD Athlon/Athlon XP/Duron Processors
Chipset: VIA KM400A + VT8237
FSB: 400/333/266/200MHz
RAM: 2x DIMM for DDR400/333/266 Max 2GB
IDE: 2x ATA 133 up to 4 Devices
Slots: 1x AGP 8X/4X, 3x PCI
Ports: 2xPS/2,1xLPT,1xCOM,1xVGA,1xLAN,8xUSB2.0(Rear 4),Audio Ports
Onboard Audio: Realtek ALC655 6-Channel Codec
Onboard Video: S3 UniChrome 2D/3D Graphics
Onboard LAN: VIA VT6103 10/100Mbps Fast Ethernet
SATA/ RAID: 2x SATA150; RAID 0,1