Home Design Software

PDJBoy

I am looking for software which would allow me to design a home and present it to potential architects. I need something which a novice could use just to decide the exterior, landscape, and floor plans. Maybe quite possibly also do a layout of the rooms. I would like something fairly simple, but if simple isn't the way to go then that is fine. Whatever software you feel is best, if you could direct me to a place to get a very good tutorial that would be great! Thanks for all help.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
If you goto "Staples" or "Office Supply Stores" or the similar in the $5 bin where they have their ancient stuff sometimes you can find some decent programs like that. ... i wrote a program that did landscape/home design last term for the term project ... kinda lost it though LOL ('sides it had to be in Java = inefficient)

PDJBoy

Ok, thanks a lot. I forgot all about that bargain bin at Office Depot and Staples. I'll have to check them out tonight or tomorrow. Thanks. That program looks good also, I'll read up on it. Thanks.

PDJBoy

Yeah thanks a lot. While I was with my project coordinator this morning at work, I remembered he had Punch! Professional Home Design Suite Platinum. So I've been playing around with that all morning since our server has been down. It's a pretty cool program, very easy to use, just have to get used to using it.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
LOL awesome! (yeah i figured something like Autocad might be a little much overkill heehee)

:D

PDJBoy

Yeah, I've tried AutoCad before and it was weigh out of my league. This one is pretty nice. My "test home" has 16,686 sq. ft. with a bedroom that's 35 ft. by 35 ft. Figured I'd start off with something big just to give myself a challenge that way I could learn more. So far so good, lol.