Home network shouldn't be this hard...

calpolyarc

All I'm trying to do is network two home computers together. They both connect to each other/internet through a typical linksys router. I've ran the network setup wizard on both, giving them distinct computer names and giving them both the same workgroup name. I've also disabled my zonealarm and windows firewall to see if that would help. It's like a hit or miss with this stuff, once in awhile I can see the shared folder on the other computer but 2 minutes later I can't, I don't get it. One other thing that may be important, one computer is running XP Pro and the other XP Home. Thanks for your help!

4W4K3

VIP Member
Home lacks netwroking capabilities/features...but if you got it to work PART of the time i would say you did it right. you said it was wireless right? how far away are the computers from eachother and how far are both from the wireless transmitter? could just be static breaking the connection and then reconnecting. thats all i can think of if its flickering the connection.

calpolyarc

Thanks 4w4k3, no it's not wireless. I've since got the XP Pro computer to see the shared docs on the XP Home computer, but not visa versa which apparantly isn't possible from your post. Perhaps I will try upgrading the other computer.

4W4K3

VIP Member
i have home on another computer and it lacks alot of networking options. i think it's still possible, but i wouldnt know how to do it. sry bout the wireless confusion, i read it wrong lol.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
It's like a hit or miss with this stuff, once in awhile I can see the shared folder on the other computer but 2 minutes later I can't
1. Power saving on the NICs
2. Bad cabling
3. Loose connection
4. Can you get an ultra steady ping? I.e., ping it say 1000 times

you said it was wireless right?
No he didnt :p

One other thing that may be important, one computer is running XP Pro and the other XP Home.
Shouldnt be a problem

ZER0X

VIP Member
Well I had a problem exactly the same, I had XP Home, the other computer had XP Pro.
Things I had to do
*Add a network place on both computers, using your own shared file....AND MAKE IT COMPATIBLE TO SHARE
*Setup the firewall so the LAN works properly or just disable it.
It worked after that :D I hope it'd help ya...........Probably not :(