Hostforums.com upgrade

ian

Administrator
Staff member
Well I finally got around to upgrading http://www.hostforums.com to vb3.0.1 in line with this forum and the domain name forum.
Just about everything that could go wrong went wrong. I recall it being a lot easier to do the domain name forum upgrade to vb version 2. Anyhow it is finally done now.

ian

Administrator
Staff member
Well this was a new installation of vb 3.0.1 but also an import of the phpbb database, in which i must say the instructions were not the best, but in the end i got it to work.
The importing of the database and users stuffed up, and none of the posts were imported.
So I had to clear the database, and reset the impex function, cause that was only set to work once. Eventually it looks like it is working.

ian

Administrator
Staff member
well this upgrade to vb3.0.1 for computer looked like it went like a breeze, but last night I noticed a problem with the users not being able to log out.
It kept giving a message
"An error occurred while attempting to log you out."
But that was easily enough, I just had to revert the navbar template and then redo the changes I had originally made, and it seemed to have fixed the problem.

Christopher

VIP Member
Yea, they added the userid to the logout link so people on forums couldn't post a link to the logout and have other users fall for the trick. All you had to do was add a &u=$bbuserinfo[userid] in the URL :p (I think, something like that).

I thought vB did the imports for you? I think you could have asked and they would have performed the import for you. Thats what they were going to do originally but people wanted to do it themselves to they reluctantly released them.

ian

Administrator
Staff member
it was a little bit tempting to ask them to do it, especially around 1:30am but that would be admitting defeat, besides doing a search on the community forum, you can come up with lots of answers...

ian

Administrator
Staff member
domainnameforums.com is the other one. The list appears down the bottom of the site (webpagedesign.com.au is not mine), then there is two more web related forums being launched in the future, and that will complete the network. Of those two, one will be related to search engines, and the last one is yet to be finalised.....