How can I tell if I can upgrade?

vooboo13

I have a Sony Vaio desktop pc. It's a 1.8GHz P4 and I'm just wondering how I can tell if my motherboard supports upgrading of the CPU. I want to get a 2.5GHz P4 (or higher if I can find something under $150). It's a 400fsb and socket478. Oh and I have an ATI Radeon 9200 128MB and 512MB RAM

I want to upgrade to play HL2 a bit better (and possibly run my other programs better - I run macromedia studio to do my work and also premiere to do video editing).

Last edited:

Lax

VIP Member
check on sony's website (haha) if you are lucky you can find the specs of your machine and it SHOULD tell you what it can handle. The vid card and ram shouldn't be a problem for your board if you wanna upgrade. Most mobo's can take about a gig of ram, even the older ones. Vid card you can use any of the new AGP ones.

vooboo13

The sticker on the front says 512MB RAM (expandable to 512MB) so I figured that it wouldn't be able to take more.. what do you guys think?

4W4K3

VIP Member
How many DIMM slots does your motherboard have? If it only has 2, it most likely is a max of 512MB. If 3 or 4, then i would really look into this. I think ALL mobos with 3+ DIMM slots will take 1GB of RAM, even ancient ones.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
How can I tell if I can upgrade?
I have a Sony Vaio desktop pc
Odds are you wont be able to upgrade much ... OEMs dont want people upgrading because they want you to buy a new machine from them.

It's a 1.8GHz P4 and I'm just wondering how I can tell if my motherboard supports upgrading of the CPU. I want to get a 2.5GHz P4 (or higher if I can find something under $150). It's a 400fsb and socket478
1. Find out the make and model of the mobo and that'll help. Something like CPUz can help plenty (www.cpuid.com)
2. Its prolly not really worth your time upgrading the CPU since you will at the most. still be using a NorthwoodA processor (which is obsolete and discontinued as well as not offering a world of difference to your current setup). It might be worth a bit more of your time if you're using a Whillimette 1.8GHz (again CPUz can help)

I want to upgrade to play HL2 a bit better
A better video card is a definite investment there (as compared to the CPU upgrade)

and also premiere to do video editing).
Ok, depending on your budget then you'll have to decide whether you do more gaming (then get the video card) or more video editing (get a better CPU) ... if you really cant decide between the two, then get some ram which kinda a middleground

The sticker on the front says 512MB RAM (expandable to 512MB) so I figured that it wouldn't be able to take more.. what do you guys think?
Its maxed out

I think ALL mobos with 3+ DIMM slots will take 1GB of RAM, even ancient ones.
Definitely not the case, ive got a 16 RAM slot mobo here with a 256MB limit :p With more relevancy a whole bunch of 3/4 DIMM boards only support up to 512MB .. usuaully the old *oooooold* ones tho

4W4K3

VIP Member
Praetor said:
Definitely not the case, ive got a 16 RAM slot mobo here with a 256MB limit :p With more relevancy a whole bunch of 3/4 DIMM boards only support up to 512MB .. usuaully the old *oooooold* ones tho

odd, i guess i don't know my roots lol. i have an old emachines that only has 2 and a max of 512MB, and a hp vectra with only 2 with a max of 512MB, laptop with only 2 with a max of 512MB. then my rig with 3 and a max of 3GB. no more guessing for me lmao.

Lax

VIP Member
I think Prae mean't SIMM not DIMM. I too have (many) old mobo's that have about 6-10 slots, but max out at 32Mb or some at 512Mb (dual 133Mhz Server). SIMM was OLLLLLDDDD school.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
I think Prae mean't SIMM not DIMM.
I meant DIMM but yeah it applies to SIMMs for sure! :) (ok the 16slot one was a SIMM board ive gone through a 6 DIMM bord with a silly low max)

vooboo13

Wow, good info. Thanks Praetor :) I spoke with a "Sony Analyst" and he said that my mobo doesn't support upgrading of the cpu. It looks as though the only thing that I can do is get a better vid card, but I think I may just look into getting a new computer. Thanks for all of the help.

Happy Holidays everyone!

Lax

VIP Member
If you end up getting a new computer build your own. You save a lot of money and you can customize it how you want.

lilpaul2019

u can upgrade ur mobo its gona be a micro atx all sonys are than upgrade ur ram and vid card about 350 dollars in upgrading