how do I clean my cp and re load w/98se ?

xcaret

I want to clean everything out of my other cp .I have the OEM windows 98 se disc that I bought for the new computer 2 years ago ..The guy at the computer shop said to put the windows in and F disc it,whatever that means.
apparently It can be done if you know how ( since windows doesnt promt you on how to do it) Can someone help me out please ..
Thanks ,xcaret

alienationware

Um, so let me get this straight:

Um, so let me get this straight: All you want to do is Fdisk your computer right?

*** WARNING: I'M ASSUMING THAT YOU WANT TO GET RID OF EVERYTHING ON YOUR COMP ***

Ok, if I was in your spot, heres two ways I might do it:

1. If you have a windows 98 Boot Diskette: You boot into MS DOS without cd rom support. Then you type in: Fdisk [enter]. Voila, you are running Fdisk.

2. If you only have the windows 98 CD: You boot from the CD. When it says continue installing windows, you press cancel until you come to the option where it says exit windows installation. So now you are in MS DOS. Then you type in:

d:\ [enter] (or whatever your cd drive is)
dir fdisk.* /a /s [enter]

so then a list comes up. It tells you where Fdisk.exe (or .com, i forget which one is). For example, D:\WIN98\SYSTEM\OLDMSDOS\FDISK.EXE.

So then you type exactly what the location of your Fdisk.exe is
In this example, you would type

cd d:\win98\system\oldmsdos\ [enter]
fdisk [enter]

Voila, you are running Fdisk.

How to use Fdisk: If you just want to wipe clean the whole hard drive, just display all partitions, and delete them. Then create a primary partition with maximal use of the hard drive. Hope that helps.

Last edited:

maymaythar

If you want to boot from the CD room you need to change the boot option in bios setup. Normally most of the mother board set default to floopy and HDD.

kof2000

only if you have xp cd you can do both at once lol both before setup installation anyways, awww, can never go back to other os, xp is just too kool.