how do i setup RAID

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
1. What kinda RAID do you want
2. What controller do you have
3. What drives are you trying to RAID together

mikelx21

I think what praetor means is what kind of raid array would you like. There is a Raid 0, also known as disk striping, which focuses on performance and speed as your data is ran on both HDD's as one drive (short summarized version), or you could have a Raid 1, also known as disk mirroring, which focuses on one drive as a back up to your other drive of the same capacity and speed (same model usually). So the question is do you want speed and performance or backed up data. There are quite a few other Raid configs but those two are the main ones that beginners and intermediates like me focus on, and I'm assuming that these are what you are looking for too. Find out if you have SATA plug-ins on your mobo and if you'll need to buy a seperate pci card (Only if your HDD's are SATA enabled though). SATA is slightly faster than the classic IDE setup. Hope this was helpful...

robina_80

how do i install it when i know which raid i want do i just put in the hdd's and off it goes or do i need to set it up

mikelx21

Well seeing as how I just learned to do a Raid array (Raid 0) myself, I can tell you that it will take you a little while to understand what you are doing. When I setup my Raid I had to enter into the Bios and enable the SATA Raid option (my default was set to an IDE Raid format, or "HighPoint Raid"), then there are a couple of prompt screens (that don't stay on for very long might I add) that will have you push certain keys (depends on the bios I guess)...but try this site to take you further along in the Raid setup... http://www.pctechguide.com/tutorials/RAID.htm

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
It can be easy or complicated really. The Promise controllers are typically easier to configure and they are a bit easier to get support for as they are more common however the flip side is that they are more flaky ... if you want serious RAID controllers, Highpoint and Adaptec make nice ones (of course they are a bit more complicated to get setup but not especially so).