How does this work?

Blue

<b>VIP Member</b>
I'm building a new system based on

- AMD Athalon64 3400+ 1mb L2 cache (754 core)
- Asus K8N-E Deluxe motherboard
- 1gb (2x512) Kingmax DDR 400 PC3200
- ETC. :)..

My question is a memory one ;-).

I know (have read) that with this cpu with the onboard memory controller only reads from a single channel of the ram instead of both (dual Channel)
So when I get my parts and instal the ram would it not matter what ram slots I use? Can I not instal the ram as I would in my Athalon XP 3000+ system and run it dual channel?
It seems to me from what I've read that It would not matter and since the onbaord controller of the new CPU (64 3400+) only reads from a single channel then the ddr ram will not run in dual channel mode.

Any input would be appreciated thanks.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
I know (have read) that with this cpu with the onboard memory controller only reads from a single channel of the ram instead of both (dual Channel)
Technicality (and an important one). There is no memory controller on the board. its built into the cpu (meaning if u want to upgrade the controller you need to geta new CPU)

So when I get my parts and instal the ram would it not matter what ram slots I use?
"standard" practise is "blue first"

Can I not instal the ram as I would in my Athalon XP 3000+ system and run it dual channel?
You can do so.

only reads from a single channel then the ddr ram will not run in dual channel mode.
Not true (there may be exceptions but ive not encountered such)

Blue

<b>VIP Member</b>
Great thanks Praetor :).

When I did mention onboard I meant onboard cpu not motherboard. I tend to use incorrect terms and confuse the hell out of people as you've already learned LOL.

As for the blue slot first, the picture I saw on the asus website before I ordered the board showed like 3 black slots but no blue, Which further confused me about ddr usage.

The part where I mention the single channel, I've read on a couple of websites that the 64 3400+ and other 64 bit processors using the 754 socket have an onboard (cpu) memory controller that can only read from a single channel (ram) and the 939 socket athalons can read from both (dual channel) but need registered memory.

So in the end what I was looking for was some sort of explanation of how this works and effects performance but since you say "Not true (there may be exceptions but ive not encountered such)" then perhaps I'll not worry and just see what I get when all my parts come in :). It should be a good system none the less.

Thanks

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
I meant onboard cpu not motherboard
That motherboard doesnt use onboard CPUs.... only a very few (hated) mobos have that 'feature'

As for the blue slot first, the picture I saw on the asus website before I ordered the board showed like 3 black slots but no blue, Which further confused me about ddr usage.
Read the manual. It will tell you. Odds are it will be 1,3 or 2,3

the 939 socket athalons can read from both (dual channel) but need registered memory.
The 939s dont use registered memory.

Blue

<b>VIP Member</b>
My fault :). I mean when I say onboard cpu I mean the memory controller is on the cpu.

Yet my fault again. I had it stuck in my head that the FX-51 and FX-53 are supposed to use registered memory which I've read just about everywhere and was thinking that perhaps all Athalon 64 cpu's that made use of dual channel ram had to use registered memory as well. They have nothing to do with my original post and nothing to do with the 64 3400+ I guess I should not have steered off topic... My bad sorry.

Just thought I'd post this link, It's a benchmark where the test system is using registered memory. I've read several reviews know where registered memory was needed with the 64 bit processors with the on cpu memory controller that made use of dual channel (Socket 940), MY BAD!!
http://www.amdzone.com/modules.php?...ons&file=index&req=viewarticle&artid=4&page=2

Last edited: