How fast will my new PC run newer games?

EPeDeMiK

How fast will games like Doom III, Half-Life 2, Far Cry, Unreal Tournament 2004, Battlefield Vietnam, Joint Operations, etc. run on my PC? (I already know they will run extremely fast, but I'm just wondering if any of you know first hand!)

I ordered an Alienware Area 51
3.4 GHz P4 Processor
2GB of RAM
ATI Radeon X800 XT Graphics Card (256 MB)
160 GB HD (7200 RPM)

PcBoss

It will run 120 mhp :D :D :D lol joking!!!

lets get serious! iam not really sure, but this really got me wondering... any one here has an answer!

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
1. There's no way for us to tell you
2. SHouldnt you have asked that before you spent the money
3. Was the post just to tell us your specs or are you serious?
4. Still... nobody can tell you.... I've got an Alie' out back and i never use it much so i couldnt tell ya.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
LOL fair enough .. it's not that fancy ... it's not like you put the thing together or anything ... anybody can just get parts (probably for less) and slap it together .... but theres a lot of fun in getting a system and building it on your own ... its even better when you save a crapload of money too

EPeDeMiK

Yea, I was considering that, but I wanted to get something with a good warranty, and a good upgrade policy. And I think an Alienware will do quite the job running newer games (especially with those specs).

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
They will do a good job but for the extra $600 (or more) your spending they better be.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
X800 isnt that fancy... dont forget it doesnt support Pixel Shader 3.0. They stopped it at Shader 2.0 .. tsk tsk for Alie' and by "good job" i meant "tech support" and "warranty"

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
dude .... for $600 you better have good shit like that ... course you're paying for the well done job .... why need warranty and tech support? (ok maybe tech support i dunno).

All im sayin is, before you pop out a crapload of money for a system you can get and build on your own for craploads cheaper, make sure you know what ur gettin into ... unless you're just buyin into the "name".....

darkd3vil

my parents got a hp and its what im using till my computer is done they spend about 800 and it cant play crap its good for holding music untill the hdd max's or thers to much and it goes as fast as a dead turtle, so i took 800 dollars from my checks and whatnot and built my own its almost done waiting for a pci card for sata/raid itll be here tomarrow or friday which is good and also i get so much better stuff plus i got 300 left to spend which i am siniking into a good video card and maybe a better sound card and speakers so what now! and plus u got praetor as tech support lol :)

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
and plus u got praetor as tech support lol
You online people get it easy... i charge $120/hr consunlting or ... depending on the client ... dinner and a movie can be substituted :p

darkd3vil

hey ill take you out to dinner and a movie how does kfc and hmmm slc punk sound to you and 120 a hour thats insaine i wish i had that kind of money i make 7.35 flipping burgers

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
i wish I had that kind of money I make 7.35 flipping burgers
Yeah but i dont get enough hours heehee and i dont do stupid crap like waste an extra 5 hours either. I quote someone and never overcharge if im off by more than 1 hour. I do a lot of jobs like that ... $50/hr here $30/hr there ... $100/hr there ... but i never score enough hours! DAMMIT! 'sides, a lot of it goes to savings and reinvestment and stuff so i dont have much in terms of spending money... don't get me wrong i'm not a snotty-ass kid -- tuition is expensive -- i didnt spend any money from birth-university ... zip. zilch. nada. zero. No field trips, no new shoes, no new back, no new pencils, no snacks .... that money went to savings and investments... course it pays off now .... except tuition is a B17CH! :(

Blind_Arrow

I am not a gamer :), why didnt you went for the nVidia 6800? Shader Model 3.0, I am not against any of the manufacturer, competition is tough, no two manufacturers can go for the bst at the same time. ATi came with 9700 PRO as a Flag Ship, ok, agreed, nVidia didnt felt like gaining their competitive advantage in their FX series of cards against ATi's Radeon series. rules sometimes change. as I am too much into Hardware (Again reminding I'm not a gamer though), this time AMD in processors and nVidia in graphic chipsets will have the flag in gaming.

EPeDeMiK

I didnt choose NVidia because of the huge power supply required to get it, with the Alienware Configurator, you could ONLY get the GeForce 6800 if you ALSO got a 650 WATT power supply, which cost an extra $250-300! I've also heard that the GeForce 6800 runs at high temperatures (much higher than ATI Radeon X800 XT) and that it's extremely loud.

72montecarlo

You'll be fine with the x800. its the fastest card out for radeon and its no more or less slower then the nvidia's 6800. yes the card has PS3.0 but no games currently even take advantage of this so going with the x800 is certainly not a bad choice.

Blind_Arrow

OK, to some extent agreed with the Dual Molar connector requirements and Noice?? not sure about that. and also, ATi X800 is smaller than its previous version (9800XT), which I'll still prefer over the X800 (Both PRO and XT), due to some limitations, as not always newer is better, like in case of Intel Prescott.

but at least everyone has to gather around that point, that AMD will remain the gamer's choice this season. reardless of intel new 775 inverse chipset.