How long would you keep your PSU? Is there a way to check 'health' of PSU?

Cisco001

I've got a old Detla server power 550W from 2007.
It was constantly used for 4 years until I get alternative quieter modular psu.
That Detla psu is now pair with my old PC in living room running Ubuntu for watching video online probably 2-3 times a month.

Then two month ago, when I try to fix my mum computer, I was made to believe she got faulty PSU (her IT Tech friend checked it, but didn't got time to fix), and thus I buy new PSU.
However, it turn out something else broken

So my question is, should I sell the new PSU or retire my 10 years old PSU?
Is there are way to check the 'health' of PSU?

beers

Staff member
I'd get off of that Delta, especially with things like 80 Plus units being more prevalent since 2007.

Depending on the unit you could potentially pay for the new PSU in electricity savings over a couple of years.

Shlouski

VIP Member
I have a thermaltake toughpower 850w still in service which was bought in 2008 and is still going strong, I've also had many Corsair PSU's have been the most unreliable PSU's I've ever bought with only 1 out of 5 making past the 2 year mark. What I'm getting at is that its hard to tell when a PSU will go bad, the older its gets the more it degrades and the chances it will fail increase. I would agree with john, 5 years sounds about the right time to swap it out for a new one, unless its a computer you really don't care about.

Agent Smith

I still have my Antec Gamer 520 I bought circa 2012. I just put it in my new computer build from my old computer. I might replace it when I get a GTX 1060. Although I don't leave me computer on all the time. My desktop is just for gaming and at most it's on 4 hours of the day.