How to Back Up Windows Onto a Cd or Dvd

Ultravis

You can make a simple backup by going to Accessories > System tools > Backup, in the programs menu.

Ultravis

Apparantly there's a backup utility that isn't automatically installed on ME:

Windows ME (Windows Millennium Edition or Win Me). For some unknown reason, it seems that Microsoft is trying even harder to hide this gem. It is not part of the Win ME installation and it cannot be installed from the Control Panel. But it is on the Win Me CD. Here are the steps for installing it:

1. Insert the Win Me CD in your CD-ROM drive and wait for it to autostart.

2. Click on Browse this CD.

3. Double-click the Add-ons folder.

4. Double-click the MSBackup folder.

5. Execute msbexp.exe by double-clicking it. That will install the program on your hard disk, but it will still be hidden. Windows may produce an error message during the installation saying it cannot find a file named mfc42.dll. If so, browse to C:\windows\options\install, where Win Me stores all of its cab files when it is installed, and the MSBackup installation program should find win_12.cab which contains the missing file. The cab file is also located on the Win Me CD in D:\win9x.

6. Next, let's find the program... Click Start, Search, For Files and Folders, enter "msbackup.exe" (without the parenthesis) in the "Search for files and folders named:" box, and select Local Disk (C:) in the "Look in:" box. Search should find the file C:\Program Files\Accessories\BACKUP.

7. Click the entry MSBACKUP.EXE listed in the right side of the Window, select Create Shortcut, and click Yes when prompted to put the shortcut on your desktop. From there I moved it to my System Tools shortcut folder using Start, Settings, Task Bar and Start Menu, Advanced, Advanced again, and dragging the Shortcut to the System Tools folder, where I am accustomed to finding it from previous version of Windows. Also, I draged the entire System Tools folder to Start Menu folder itself right after installing Win Me because I use System Tools frequently.

Tha Killa

When you backup your computer onto a CD, would it take as many CDs as it needs to backup all the space you used? (my HD is 120 gb, with most of it used) Or does it take only 1 CD to do it all? I'm planning to do a system restore because I've been getting some crashes lately. Thanks a lot.