i5 8400 with GTX 1060 6GB or Ryzen 5 1400 with GTX 1070 8GB

i5 8400 with GTX 1060 6GB (1200€) or Ryzen 5 1400 with GTX 1070 8GB (1300€)?

• i5 8400 with GTX 1060 6GB

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Måns Eriksson

Given that the rest of the components in the PC are roughly the same, which one of these would be a better choice? And also the Ryzen 5 with GTX 1070 is about 100 euros more expensive.. Thanks in advance!

OmniDyne

That's a tough decision. Those prices are high, and I'm not sure a Ryzen 5 1400 would be able to push a GTX 1070.

Do you have a link to these computers?

jevery

Given that the I5 is roughly 30% faster than the Ryzen and the 1070 is roughly 25% more powerful than the 1060. I’d vote for the Ryzen/1070 for gaming.

OmniDyne

Each computer has a serious trade off.

The Ryzen 5 1400 will have issues pushing the GTX 1070, and has 2400MHz RAM.

The 8400 will max the GTX 1060 and comes with appropriate RAM at 2666MHz.

Do you have any other options? Those computers aren't really spec'd appropriately.

OmniDyne

Then I second going with the Ryzen 5 1400 and 1070 rig. That is your best option.

It'll still be a great experience, and a fairly powerful computer for gaming.

Shlouski

VIP Member
Personally I would go with the i5 8400 build. The GTX 1060 is great card and in a few years you may want to upgrade your GPU and if you do you will have a better CPU to push it, but both options are fine. If you are able to overclock, then overclock the Ryzen, you may be able to close the performance gap.

Darren

Staff member
Ryzen platform also gives you future upgradeability moreso than the Intel would. 1070 stomps the 1060. No contest really, although 2400MHz RAM is a pretty serious downside since Ryzen relies on RAM speed a lot.

Måns Eriksson

Ryzen platform also gives you future upgradeability moreso than the Intel would. 1070 stomps the 1060. No contest really, although 2400MHz RAM is a pretty serious downside since Ryzen relies on RAM speed a lot.
Considering those things, do you still think its worth 100€ more despite the slower RAM speed?

Shlouski

VIP Member
Ryzen platform also gives you future upgradeability

Future upgradeability means spending more money, for gaming it would likely be a waste of money as I would hope his cpu would last at least 4 or five years. If not already released, AM5 and DDR5 would be just around the corner by then and I can't remember any occasions where people here have recommended upgrading old hardware over newer faster hardware.

Socket AM2 released 2006 and I have build a PC. It is now 2010, AM3 was released just a few months ago, should I upgrade my Athlon 64 X2 build to the fastest Phenom, or should I go with AM3 build where even the cheap Athlons beat the old Phenoms?

1070 stomps the 1060

A 1260 will likely stomp a 1070, but will he need to upgrade his cpu to run it? well its more likely if he has a slower cpu, so one can argue that the Intel platform gives you future upgradeability that the Ryzen doesn't.

It all comes down to what is best for each individual consumer, Ryzen my be best for some enthusiasts whom enjoy upgrading, others want to build a PC and then leave it alone, if it ain't broke don't fix it attitude, I have no idea which the original poster is, so I offer different perspectives and let them decide what is best for them.

Last edited:

Darren

Staff member
Future upgradeability means spending more money, for gaming it would likely be a waste of money as I would hope his cpu would last at least 4 or five years. If not already released, AM5 and DDR5 would be just around the corner by then and I can't remember any occasions where people here have recommended upgrading old hardware over newer faster hardware.

Socket AM2 released 2006 and I have build a PC. It is now 2010, AM3 was released just a few months ago, should I upgrade my Athlon 64 X2 build to the fastest Phenom, or should I go with AM3 build where even the cheap Athlons beat the old Phenoms?

A 1260 will likely stomp a 1070, but will he need to upgrade his cpu to run it? well its more likely if he has a slower cpu.

Erm. What?

AM4 is going to be in use for at least another 3-4 years. Intel? Yeah you're going to get maybe another year before they change socket again. That's all I'm saying, the mobo will be more viable longer since it's a socket with a longer lifespan. I'm not saying you'll need to upgrade as predicting the future is impossible but it just makes more sense to get a platform that will be easier to upgrade in a few years. Your examples are also for stuff that's already really old. Upgrading just a CPU can be way more cost effective than a whole platform (CPU, RAM, Mobo) upgrade, especially when we're early on in the lifecycle of the socket and later chips will be noticeably faster (theoretically).

1260 better than a 1070? Maybe but there's barely more than whispers about next gen at this point. Kind of a moot point, buy what's the best now. And that's going to be a 1070 over a 1060.

OmniDyne

Personally I would go with the i5 8400 build. The GTX 1060 is great card and in a few years you may want to upgrade your GPU and if you do you will have a better CPU to push it, but both options are fine. If you are able to overclock, then overclock the Ryzen, you may be able to close the performance gap.

It's going to be far more cost effective to upgrade the RAM on the Ryzen build than to buy another GPU on the Intel build.

The 1060 is hardly a viable card at this point, in my opinion. It can hardly run GTA V at 60 FPS, and it's only a few percent better than the GTX 970, which is seriously showing its age at this point.

The Ryzen 5 1400 can run most games well over 100 FPS.

The 1070 is far superior to the 1060. At the price point these builds are at, going with the 8400 just wouldn't make sense.
His gaming experience would be leaps and bounds better with the 1070 build.

But again, neither of those builds makes much sense.

Shlouski

VIP Member
Erm. What?

Trying to offer a different opinion, it is not an attack on you, so plz offer me a little respect, thank you.

AM4 is going to be in use for at least another 3-4 years. Intel? Yeah you're going to get maybe another year before they change socket again.

Both sockets will likely be dead by the time he needs to upgrade, so in both situations he will be left with the choice to upgrade to old hardware or to new where would need to buy everything all over again anyway. This is also not taking into account many new technologies that my be available in 4 or 5 years, which he can't take advantage of because he can only upgrade his cpu.

predicting the future is impossible

The single biggest reason why future proofing things like mobo, cpu, ram combo is bs.

Your examples are also for stuff that's already really old.

Not in 2010 like I stated, it will be a similar situation that will be in with AM4 and AM5 in a few years, upgrade to old tech or new and overwhelming most of the time it makes sense to buy new, we can learn from the past. I have personally owned EVERY socket for the last 20 years, upgrading to old tech has never yet made sense for all my past situations and I think this is true for most others too.

Upgrading just a CPU can be way more cost effective than a whole platform (CPU, RAM, Mobo)

Not needing to upgrade anything is even cheaper. Irrelevant of the platform, in a few years time only cpu upgrading won't be a reasonable option anyway.

1260 better than a 1070? Maybe but there's barely more than whispers about next gen at this point. Kind of a moot point, buy what's the best now. And that's going to be a 1070 over a 1060.

Exactly, we don't know how much better future cards will be, so it would be great if he had a more powerful cpu to push them, gpu's are easier to upgrade and much more beneficial to gaming in general. You say buy what is best now, but you are recommending a slower cpu, which in my opinion would decrease longevity of the system.

The 1070 is far superior to the 1060. At the price point these builds are at, going with the 8400 just wouldn't make sense.

A very short term view, also even now new gpu's are just around the corner, the weaker cpu would put him at a disadvantage for all the years of usage in the future and will cause him to need to upgrade sooner.

Darren

Staff member
Trying to offer a different opinion, it is not an attack on you, so plz offer me a little respect, thank you.

Both sockets will likely be dead by the time he needs to upgrade, so in both situations he will be left with the choice to upgrade to old hardware or to new where would need to buy everything all over again anyway. This is also not taking into account many new technologies that my be available in 4 or 5 years, which he can't take advantage of because he can only upgrade his cpu.

The single biggest reason why future proofing things like mobo, cpu, ram combo is bs.

Not in 2010 like I stated, it will be a similar situation that will be in with AM4 and AM5 in a few years, upgrade to old tech or new and overwhelming most of the time it makes sense to buy new, we can learn from the past. I have personally owned EVERY socket for the last 20 years, upgrading to old tech has never yet made sense for all my past situations and I think this is true for most others too.

Not needing to upgrade anything is even cheaper. Irrelevant of the platform, in a few years time only cpu upgrading won't be a reasonable option anyway.

Exactly, we don't know how much better future cards will be, so it would be great if he had a more powerful cpu to push them, gpu's are easier to upgrade and much more beneficial to gaming in general. You say buy what is best now, but you are recommending a slower cpu, which in my opinion would decrease longevity of the system.

A very short term view, also even now new gpu's are just around the corner, the weaker cpu would put him at a disadvantage for all the years of usage in the future and will cause him to need to upgrade sooner.

End of the day. 1070 > 1060. The CPU's are close in performance and GPU is the limiting factor more than 90 percent of the time for gaming. Don't want to talk about anything in the future? Then 1070 absolutely makes the most sense now.

Which platform will be upgradeable in a few years (say before socket changes for the AM4). Ryzen socket will have a longer lifespan and thus better CPU's that are more viable for a longer period of time. Simple fact is that the AM4 socket will live longer than the Intel. If you feel the need to upgrade before AM5 (or whatever it may be) cool you've got a motherboard/RAM that will work, but Intel will already be a socket or two different (assuming their pattern maintains which is likely). If it's past that then you'd be upgrading the whole platform anyway regardless of Intel or AMD.

Status
Not open for further replies.