IDE and Serial ATA working together

kamakashi

Ok I have a 80 gig Maxtor ultra 133 and a 160 gig Samsung serial ATA. Now I want to have my Maxtor the master drive (operating system) and have the ATA for backing up hardware. My computer doesnt show the ATA in the bios but it does show when booting up. Once my computer is in windows it still doesnt show the ATA in MY Computer. How do I get my computer to use the ATA as a slave? I cannot select it in bios. But it says I can change the way the ATA boots ( ATA/SCSI or SCSI first then ATA) dont have an SCSI. HOw do I make the ATA a slave? Maybe an IDE and a serial ata dont work together. I did have windows xp on ATA drive and it showed my maxtor.

Also I was wondering. I want to install windows xp on the serial ATA hard drive. And then put Windows 2000 on the IDE drive and have it dual boot.
Thanks for the help.

FWMan

The best set up would be Boot from SATA and turn your PATA (ATA-5) to Internal FireWire HDD, move Temp file and pagefile.sys to Internal FireWire HDD... You will be supprise how well your computer runs. I guarrantee you can burn CD, DVD, watching movie, dowload file and with over 20 windows open withourt a hick-up or slow down

Here is the ref of Internal FireWire convert:
www.caloptic.com
How to convert your HDD to Internal FireWire and do all the changes
www.datoptic.com/PDF/Improved.pdf
www.datoptic.com/PDF/Improved2.pdf

To boot from SATA, you have to go to BIOS and enable the bus, if it is correctly done when boot up you should see your SATA at boot up screen.